Anybody hear about Toyota buying back Tacomas?

At band practice last night the guys were telling me Toyota was buying back Tacomas (I think...) for 150% of book value, because of rotting frames. I thought they were pulling the other one until some guy came down and said, "Did you hear about so-and-so? Toyota bought his truck back for more than he paid for it!" He hadn't been there earlier so this surprised me.

Reply to
hachiroku

Never heard of it, but apparently, others have:

JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks for the link. I found this:

If you own a Tacoma made between 1995 and 2000, Toyota would like to inspect it free of charge?and if the rust corrosion is severe enough, they will either repair the truck on their dime or buy it back as a vehicle in "excellent condition" no matter what state it's really in. Toyota announced this a little over a month ago and said thy would start sending letters to Tacoma owners in the weeks to come, so if you haven't received yours yet, be on the lookout for it.

And this from another:

Toyota will either repair or offer to repurchase your vehicle. This is where it gets interesting. No matter what condition your truck is in, Toyota will buy it back at 150% the KBB "excellent condition" price.

Reply to
hachiroku

Interesting, though: Three times in the past year, I've gotten mail from my dealer saying they're experiencing a shortage of good used Tacomas, and that they'll pay extra-high trade in values. Now, you'd think it was just a ploy to get people to buy a new car, but my neighbor has a Camry from the same dealer, same year, and he's gotten no such mail. I wonder if the 2002 Tacomas have the same problem and they just wanna scoop them up.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Turns out the new Tundra has been one "BADass" trunk with a merried of problems when used in hard duty. Brakes, tranny, axle, driveshaft etc, but I have not heard of frame rust however.

I know a lot of Tundras were dumped at the Manheim Auto Auctions the last few months of the year, at as low as 25K for RWD models, to pump up the dismal sales figured

Reply to
Mike hunt

KBB listing are WHOLESALE but at least that is more than the below wholesale average price that Toyota dealers will give for any Toyota, in trade on a new vehicle ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

No they aren't. There's thre different levels; Trade in (which is wholesale) Private Sale and Dealer Sale. Dealer Sale is the highest, and the one delaers use since it's tailored to dealers.

Toyota is being pretty generous using KBB "Excellent" ratings to buy the trucks, since everyone else is lower...

Reply to
hachiroku

I get the same for my Scion...

Reply to
hachiroku

Are Scions as hard to come by as Tacomas? When I bought mine, the dealer had three. I wanted a 6 cylinder with a stick shift. She searched and the closest one she could find was in Alabama. Shipping would've made a mess of the price. Within a reasonable distance, the only options she could offer were other colors, and very few of them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah they are. When you couple the fact they didn't make a lot of the tC's, and that they are popular, I hear they are giving good prices for them.

Hmmmm...

Reply to
hachiroku

For a 2004 Tacoma LTD 4 door AWD with the popular options, the KBB Excellent price is $18,375, + 50% is $27562.

Hmmm...the ONLY option it gave me for value is the EXCELLENT price. I wonder why...?

Reply to
hachiroku

That may be what you believe but after many years are a Group Sales Manager for one of the largest mega dealerships groups on the east coast, I can assure you the ONLY listing that actually reflects at which prices vehicles are actually changing hands, at new car dealerships, is NADA

All others reflect prices at which vehicles are changing hands among wholesalers, used car dealers and individual. If you doubt that check Manheim Auto Auctions

Reply to
Mike hunt

And how does one check Manheim's auctions if one is not a licensed dealer and the site requires a password?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's not what I believe, that's what we did. Internally we use NADA, yes. For the customer we showed them KBB, since KBB is higher.

The savvy customers would ask to see NADA, or come with an NADA printout.

How long have you been out of touch with the retail car market, anyway?

Manheim is an entirely different animal. If someone came in wanting to sell us a car we'd use Manheim. Then list it at KBB, and sell it at NADA.

You must have lost your shirt...

Reply to
hachiroku

That is a marketing letter from the dealer who wants you to buy a new vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O