Anybody here have a Celica GT-S, 2000-03? (buying assistance...)

Tried out a 2000 Celica GT-S with 40,000 miles on it. NOT what I expected from a car with that low mileage! The rear of the car seemed awful 'busy', with a sound that I can only describe as a differntial going bad, coming from the rear of the car.

But, since this is a FWD car, it doesn't HAVE a rear differential!!!

SO, any clues as to what this sound might be? (If you've ever heard a rear diff on the way out, you'll know what I'm talking about.)

Also, the brake handle for the E-Brake came up about 20 clicks! In my experience with Toys from 1974 to 1988, the handle is only supposed to be about 6 clicks when the e-brake locks up HARD. The brake worked well enough, but the handle was almost straight up when the brakes kicked in.

I have a feeling the brake action and the howling might be indicative of the same problem with the car; it probably has a misplaced shoe causing the noise and the brake handle problem. They are going to look at it Monday, but they also have "somebody else interested in the car". Sorry, no deposit until it works correctly.

Oh, it also shook worse than my Supra with the roof off on the highway at

70 MPH. They said they put new tires on it (they looked new) and may not be balanced properly.

All this for $13,990! On a car that KBB's for $13,480! And has some dings that will NOT be easy to repair! And, that they were selling last week (had a deposit and was considered Sold) for $12,900!!! (we have over $13,000 into the car...)

Sorry, fix the problems, call me Monday, and if you still have the car and I think it is proper, I'll make an offer. And, if it sells before that, Good For You!!

Ray and I both kow this dealer well, but it changed hands again about 3 months ago.

Hopefully the new owners won't ruin it's reputation...

Reply to
Hachiroku

It could be rear wheel bearings also...

It could be just a simple cable adjustment, or the shoes could be shot or mis-adjusted.

Probably out of balance.

The one near U-Mass Amherst or the one where Bill Cosby gets his car serviced?

Reply to
Ray O

The one in my hometown...Rusty Jones...(LOL)

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! Got it!

Reply to
Ray O

GT-S are in general good cars. I owned a 2002 gt-s for 3.5 years and it was a fun car. Handles amazing, once your in lift it's fun...however it has a disappointing 130 lb-ft toque. The car red lines high and you can push it to 7800-8200 depending on the year of the car. In 2003 they changed the front of the car and a bit on the rear. IMO the fornt is hideous on the 2003. I never had an issue with the car, but I hear around 100 000 Km, the lifter bolts might go.

Reply to
Arabian_Knight

This is what I had figured, and I told them it sounded like a bearing on the way out.

When I pulled the brake handle about 15MPH, some of the noise went away for a while.

It was a pretty bad shake!

Reply to
Hachiroku