Anyone in the Northeast looking for an AE92 SR5? Hachi?

Hi all, I have an '89 AE92 Corolla SR5 in pristine condition (California car that I basically drive on weekends during good weather, since I've always taken public transportation to work). It has 153k miles and still looks/runs like new. It's white with alloy wheels and gets a lot of compliments. Virtually no rust. It's a 4-spd automatic but the auto transmission pulls like a manual if you press the car hard.

Anyways, starting soon I need to work at a job with long commuting miles, and am reluctant to relegate this vehicle to becoming a commuter car since I almost never see any SR5's in this condition anymore. I'm in the Boston area.

So, if you might be interested in it, please email me at johnyang97@y**oo.com (substitute "ah" for "**"; am trying to reduce spam mail). I would prefer to keep it forever, but have limited parking where I live, and am reluctant to have such a rare car not in the hands of someone who intends to keep it indefinitely.

Thanks, John

Reply to
johnyang97

LOL! That would make #7! Although I am thinking of sending the Hachiroku to the great recycling yard in the sky...it's just a bit too far gone for my abilities (and time...and effort...and money...)

Let me see what happens with the GTS and the Suby Wagon I've been playing with.

It would be fighting the Supra for heated garage space in the winter!

Reply to
hachiroku

Hi Hachi, You have SIX vehicles??!! That's most impressive. In my neck of the woods it would cost about $1000/month every month to have a place to park them all.

From what I recall you are no longer married; it would take a VERY patient wife to approve of this hobby.

Q: I dropped in for fun on a local Toyota dealership last week. (now the salesman calls me every day though I politely tell him not to). The salesmen in the parking lot were shocked to see a pristine AE92 pulling into the parking lot. Anyhow, the salesman I met with keeps insisting that they will give me the lowest price on any new car (even if I didn't have a trade-in), plus give me $1400 as trade-in value on the SR5. Seriously, though, a dealership will assume that a car that old is unsellable or in rough shape, and they would probably just wholesale it for a few hundred dollars right? You used to work at a dealership--what would they do with a car like mine? (don't worry, I wouldn't let them have it anyways)

I'll keep you posted! John

Reply to
johnyang97

Because of the Do Not Call laws, they are only allowed to call you three times. If you ask them to stop, they are supposed to stop.

Next time he calls, ask him politely if he is aware of this.

They'll wholesale it either to a used car dealer, or, chances are since Toyotas aren't really respected in the Used Car community (and especially one of this 'vintage') it'll get stripped for whatever parts someone thinks are viable and then crushed. Scrap prices are WAY up, and unless it happens to go to a Toyota enthusiast, it'll end up as a block of metal.

No dealer will want it since they don't know the history, and they'll expect the car to fall apart any day now. Since cars in MA have to be warranteed (at least for emissions) nobody is going to want to deal with it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey Hachi, Thanks again for the inside scoop. No way will I ever trade my car into a dealer, then-- it would be a big shame to scrap a car with a perfect body/engine/transmission that gets almost 40 mpg on the highway and is quite a rare car too. Its emissions results are outstanding too (California car). I suppose if I Ebay it sometime, it would have a better chance of ending up with someone who wants it. The problem is, cars probably often get damaged during shipping.

Re. that car salesman, I'll tell him, next time he calls, that he's not allowed to keep doing this. The dealership must not train them well. When I was there, I purposely asked him, "does the Camry have a timing belt or timing chain?". He replies, "what is a timing belt? Never heard of it." He said that Camries have a much stronger I4 than Honda Accords; I told him that I4 Accords are now rated at 177-190 HP. He again said that he had no idea that this was the case. Before I politely left, he was trying to give me a "great deal" by offering a Camry at full MSRP. That's business I guess though.

Catch you later, John

Reply to
johnyang97

HAY!

Post some pix in alt.binaries.images.fun

I might be able to swap off a couple of my cars and get enough $$$ to do this.

However, it means ditching a couple of my "winter cars" and leaves me with three cars I don't want to drive in the winter!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey Hachi, I'll let you know when I have pics up. It sounds like you'd have to do a lot of transactions if the SR5 were to make it into your driveway someday! No rush on my end right now... I'll continue to keep you posted if anything happens with it. The SR5 is definitely not an ideal winter car, as you definitely wouldn't want to be driving a rust-free '89 SR5 California car in salt and sand.

Out of curiousity, do you mind reminding us what your army of vehicles is? A Scion, Subaru wagon, Supra, an AE86, and ..?

Take care, John

Reply to
johnyang97

You livein Mass. Haven't you heard about "the Program"?

Scion tC (newest and nicest, obviously! ;), Supra NA, 1988, 1989 Mazda 626 'stripper' in really nice shape ($150!), 89 Subaru GL Coupe with on-the-fly AWD, '97 Suby Legacy Wagon with blown head gaskets, and the 'hachiroku'.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hi Hachi, No, I have no idea what "The Program" is. Could you please tell me?

Does it have anything to do with emissions? My SR5 pulls great #s on emissions testing, being a California-emissions-spec car and all.

I took the Corolla SR5 in for servicing yesterday. The mechanic was shocked at its condition after seeing the body and underside of the vehicle. "There's hardly any rust on the car, it must not be from around here!" he said.

John

Reply to
johnyang97

The Commonwealth is trying to get all cars W/O OBDII off the road. Any car prior to 1997 that can drive 100 feet in each direction will be bought by the state for up to $500. It was $625, but they dropped it.

I can get rid of a couple of my cars on this program. They pass emissions, but as of Oct all the dynos are going away and they won't be able to test them for emissions any longer, so all they will be doing is safety. This is good in most ways, but a $29 test to tell you what's wrong with your car was a bargain!

But, the Suby Coupe is in OK shape and is AWD, and the Mazda is MINT and cost a grand total of $650 after throwing $500 in new parts at it. Both are 'winter' cars, the Mada when it's not snowing and the Suby when it is. I also use the Mazda when it's raining, so the Scion and the Supra can stay high and dry...

What a system...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You ever get to this part of the state?