Anyone tried the new Kumho tires?

Hi,

Need a decent tire without spending too much (don't we all).

Something brough my attention to Kumho so I did a lot of searching on them. Hard to find an objective opinion. People either love 'em or hate 'em, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Anyway, I think I'm going to give them a try. I have it narrowed down to 3 types, all 215/60/16.

  1. KR21 (these are the new ones - came out recently). I got a price on them of .95 mounted, balanced etc. each plus tax.

  1. Solus KH16

  2. HP4 716

If you're familiar with any or all of these tires please let me know what you think of them.

Man, I hate buying tires. The international confusion by handed out manufacturers and sellers drives me nuts (or maybe I'm just easily confused).

We're in Florida, never see snow but we do drive in fairly HEAVY rain pretty frequently where we are.

Thanks,

Sammy

Reply to
sammy

I bought a set of Kuhmo tires two years ago for my Aerostar. After about 9 months of driving 7 miles a day on a gravel road and maybe70 miles a week average I was getting flats fixed weekly. I must have gotten 10 before I started buying used tires till I finally spent the money on a new(Only 1 year after the last "New" set) set of better quality tires with a lifetime flat warrenty from Walmart. This might not be exactly what your refering to but its my experience. Its much better in the long run to get(as everyone told me to do) quality tires and pay the extra Rosco

Reply to
Butter

Quite right! I used to buy tires on the basis of price, and was never burned except with a recap which let the tread separate at speed (about 50 years ago). But 15 years ago I had a blowout in the Arizona desert on I 10 while pulling a U-haul trailer, and almost wound up with a harp and wings. And had to change the tire (which was so shredded it could have fit in a grocery bag) in 115 F. heat. Since then I look for the most expensive tires with the best specifications. You can get away with cheap gas that will make your engine knock, cheap fan belts that may break prematurely, cheap car polish that doesn't protect your paint job, and many other things automotive....but none of them can get you killed in a flash like a poor quality tire. I also see that I replace tires long before they get bald. I want to live to be old (er).

Reply to
mack

Dunno. I have a set of new kumho tires on my accord, and I haven't had any trouble at all so far. I don't know what the "new" kumho" tire is though.. The type I have seem ok to me. They didn't cost a whole heck of a lot.. I think I paid about $150 for a set of four 13 inchers that the old accord uses. As far as nails, I'd be afraid to run over nails with any brand tire. Unless they have some kind of super duper belt, or whatever most all brands are going to collect and keep that nail stuck in the tread.. : ( MK

Reply to
nm5k

I'm glad that you said, "old(ER)"!!!

Reply to