Anyone with a 2003 Camry?

Do you know what that plastic container located right below the battery is and is it supposed to be filled? I think the "Check Engine" light keeps coming on because of it. It's definately not a loose gas cap.

Reply to
Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!

The best way to find out why the check engine light is coming on is to scan the codes with an OBD II compliant code scanner. There are hundreds of components that are monitored by the OBD II system, and so any speculation without scanning the system is a wild guess.

Some auto parts stores like Auto Zone will allow you to use a scanner for free. Once you have the diagnostic trouble code, you can post the model year, model, engine, transmission, and mileage along with the codes for more useful advice.

I have not seen the container you are describing, but if it is a black plastic container with several vacuum hoses coming out of it, it may be the evaporative emissions charcoal canister. As the nomenclature implies, it traps evaporative emissions from the fuel tank and then releases them to the engine to be burned. The charcoal canister should not be filled with fluid - if there is fluid inside, it is probably gas, and the control valves need to be checked, along with replacing the canister. Filling the fuel tank to the top of the filler neck is a possible cause of the problem.

In any event, get the codes scanned.

Reply to
Ray O

Not sure about 2003, but my 2005 Camry has a white plastic container under the battery. I think it's part of the air intake (before the air filter). My guess is it's used to trap debris and cool intake air. It's not filled with anything.

Don't take my word for it, I'm just guessing.

Reply to
ZR

Yeah, exactly the container I am referring to. It is connected to the air intake so you may be right. The reason I think it may be causing the "check engine" light to come on is because there's a small hole on the bottom of it, courtesy of a mouse.

Also found a hole on the brake fluid container, just below the lid. Could also be the culprit?

This is the first time the light came on, ever. And it just happens to coincide with the attack of the container eating mouse, which did about $1000 damage to numerous cars.

Reply to
Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!

I went to AZ once to get a code read. The guy doing it didn't even know where the plug was and took about an hour to figure out how to read the code.

No it's a white container and looks to be connected to the air intake that leads to the air filter. There's a small hole on the bottom of it which was caused by a mouse.

There's also a hole on the brake fluid container, just below the cap.

Never had the light come on before, until the attack of the container eating mouse, which caused about $1000 in damages. I did catch the culprit... probably shouldn't say what I did to it in case PETA is reading.

Reply to
Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!

You and Rush Limbaugh and I are rodent killers?

LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

If you do not have a code scanner, AZ is a free and convenient place to have codes scanned. I would not rely on the diagnostic abilities of anyone working there unless they happen to be an ASE certified technician (as opposed to an ASE certified parts counterman). A competent technician could probably make more money working as a technician than at an auto parts store so I would not count on finding one there.

A hole in the engine air intake before the MAF sensor will not set a check engine light. I believe that one of the functions of that container is to trap water and keep it out of the intake - there should be a drain at the bottom somewhere, or the container's function could be to act as a muffler.

A hole in the brake master cylinder reservoir is a very dangerous condition!!!!! Besides the possibility of brake fluid loss through the hole, it exposes the brake fluid to the atmosphere and the brake fluid will absorb the moisture in the atmosphere. The mositure-laden brake fluid can cause corrosion to the brake calipers, wheel cylinders, lines, ABS actuator, etc. as well as allow vapor to form in the lines, which will cause loss of braking efficiency.

I recommend that you have the brake master cylinder changed and the old brake fluid flushed and replaced ASAP!

If the brake fluid has leaked out, the "brake" light on the instrument panel should come on but it would not turn on the check engine light.

I saw a bumper sticker that read: "People Eating Tasty Animals"

I think that there is a problem unrelated to the hole in the air intake or the brake master cylinder reservoir. A code scan will provide clues on where to look.

Reply to
Ray O

Hey, why don't we as a nation start breeding these little plastic eating buggers? Think of the untold piles of undegradable plastic in landfills that could be gobbled up by them....! wow, the mind boggles.

Reply to
mack

How much plastic was normally in that container? Was it filled with plastic or just partly filled? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The white container is a resonator, to reduce air noise. Normally contains "air"

Slim

Reply to
Slim Pickings