Are H-Rated Tires Neccessary

Reply to
Wolfgang

I wasn't. Just about a year ago. I made a post about the OT posts and Scott told me not to let the door slap me! ;)

HOLY CRAP!!! A closet Ricer!!! Ya know, deep down, even though we have traded barbs here and there, I KNEW there was something I liked about you!

Now, as sson as I pick my tongue up off the floor...

But, why remove the wing? Just due to it's sheer Ugliness?!

I know a kid (kid...24 YO) who ordered an STi special and had to wait an extra 6 weeks for it to be shipped from Japan just because he didn't want the "Basket Handle" wing.

I been here a year and I never heared you talk about cars!

GET THIS FOLKS!!! I'M JEALOUS OF DIZZY!!!!

I'm printing THIS post out!

Reply to
hachiroku

Which is great until you blow through a red block signal with your nose buried in the paper, and meet the 5:15 Freight going the other way - and guess who's gonna win that one...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Taken care of. I live close to Millitech, the company that developed the radar system for BMW. Since they are holding on by a thread, I can probably pick one up cheap!

Reply to
hachiroku

Well, if you're driving a Toyota, there's no problem - is there?

Reply to
FanJet

That would be the right wing? We can see the left wing is still firmly attached. ;-0

Reply to
J Strickland

just an aside our 2005 Avalon has "V" rated Michellins stock

I was manual looking about the sequential shift on the auto 5 speed. Says not to exceed 103mph in 3rd.

In some areas, maybe nationwide, it is illegal to put tires with lower speed rating than stick says.

Ron

Reply to
ron

Well, I consider myself more of a "motorhead" than a "ricer". 8) Back in '98, when I was looking for a car, I had a short list of requirements: Powerful engine, rear-wheel drive, manual transmission,

4 seats (even if the rears were emergency-use only). This left VERY few options. I was lucky-enough to find one of the last new TT's in the country.

Right. I don't like big wings. The best, nicest-looking cars don't have wings. Big wings are for wannabe's and show-offs, and with almost every piece of crap on the road available with wings nowadays, they certainly do NOT imply any level of sportiness or performance.

Good for him.

I wish it was more car-interesting in here... Most of the car discussions are pretty boring, like "V6 or 4?" or "premium or regular" or "my AC stinks".

I've got the coolest car here, so I win. 8)

Reply to
dizzy

Nah, most of them are for looks. My '85 Corolla GTS has a slightly exaggerated lip wing on the trunk (hatch), I am told that it actually DOES supply some downforce. My '95 Tercel had a wing raised about 1" off the trunk; I believe it was more for looks, but very well could have been functional (at least it kept the rear of the car clean.) The Supra and the Celica have no wing at all; I'm going to try and find the wing that was optional on the 7m-ge and standard on the turbo, again unobtrusive, about

1" off the deck but it does look good.

There's another 'kid' I know, Honda Civic Coupe all done up, graphics, basket handle wing, 18" wheels and skinny sidewall tires. I asked my old boss at CarQuest what mods he made to the engine/drivetrain: a cold air intake and a bigger exhaust. Good for about 10-12 ponies at most. All show, no go. I'd rather put that kind of money under the hood...

Well, what does Toyota have for models now? TYhe Supra is long gone, the Celica is going; we don't even have ONE available, all the quirky little cars that k00ks like me like are gone. The only one I would consider now is the Matrix since I need the room and it can be had with AWD; now, if they would just add the engine from the Corolla S they'd have a hell of a car! But you can't get that engine and the 6 speed with AWD.

The only other car I'd look at would be the Solara coupe with a manual tranny.

Perhaps, but I still love my 'hachiroku'. You'd kick my ass, but we'd have a blast doing it!

Reply to
hachiroku

I assume--in American English--you are talking about the fenders. Why would you want to remove the fenders?

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

No he means the aerodynamic wing on the trunk of the car, a ridiculous looking thing that probably serves a purpose, but just screams "Fast And Furious" and is best left in the garage all by itself...

I remember reading in Car and Driver, they went over to Japan to try some of the hot cars that were out at the time, I think it was a Skyline, a Supra and something else...RX-7? They decided to go through a car was and missed the warning (in Japanese) to avoid going through an automatic car wash. Ripped the wing right off the car...

Reply to
hachiroku

I was being a little silly, but I really thought those things were called "spoilers", not wings. Being a pilot, I am used to wings that stick out the sides .

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

That's always true. If the car can do 150, the tire store would be negligent to install tires that were only rated to 118. That's insane! It's insane to even ask them to put on under rated tires, and more insane for them to accomodate the request.

Reply to
J Strickland

LOL...I thought that's what you were getting at, but after bb's pretzel logic, I was begining to wonder..

Here's one with the original spoiler, and you'll see why we call it a 'wing'...

hachiroku

I don't think I would want one of those on my car. Almost as bad as that

70s Plymouth--the spoiler looked like a handle for a baby carriage.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

I know you can order a Subaru Imprezza STi without the spoiler, but since they think that Americans who buy these cars are the Fast and the Furious type, it takes an extra 6-8 weeks for it to get here.

Worth the wait, I'd say.

Reply to
hachiroku