Are OE Replicated Cabin Air Filters safe to use?

I need to change the cabin air filters on the Yaris'. Is it safe to use OE replicated cabin air filters? Less generally since there is always some garbage in replicated parts, does anyone know of a good quality replicated cabin air filter brand?

I have searched on the net, but most of the hits I came up with online sites I've never heard of so I'm not going to buy from them. The prices range from $8 straight up to $35, and the carbon/charcoal filters tend to average $24-$35. I think the latter are overkill for our (family) usage and location, so I'm more interested in good leads for regular cabin air filters. Toyota wants too much, plus there is an install charge LOL (I've read it takes all of 10 minutes to do).

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

Why are you anally concerned that somehow a third party CABIN AIR FILTER might HURT the car? That's what you're saying when you ask if it's "safe". You're afraid that an HVAC air filter might HURT the car???

But let's go even further back, when cars didn't HAVE cabin air filters. And guess what? NOTHING GOT HURT.

You know something? You can REMOVE the cabin air filter COMPLETELY--and you won't hurt the car. It's perfectly SAFE.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

It may not hurt to go without, but without one the warranty becomes void if anything goes wrong with the A/C or any related gear like the blower fan etc... I don't won't to lose that coverage.

Not all filters are created equal. Some people recommend making one out of furnace filters. That's just crazy because the material used for furnace fans is much different than the materials used for tiny car fans.

I've found one for $24, and guess what? It IS the company that makes the Toyota branded cabin filters. It is the only one that states the use of this filter will NOT void the Toyota warranty. That's much better than paying the $49.95 Toyota wants per car.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

No, it doesn't.

You're paranoid.

Go buy the factory parts from the dealer, or from any online dealer. Then you'll be in your warm happy place.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Just because the company also makes the Toyota branded filter, doesn't mean the filter they're selling meets the same specs that the Toyota branded filter has to meet.

And THEY can't guarantee ANYTHING about what Toyota will and will not cover.

So if you're scared that the Toyota bogeyman is going to tell you that your car is now junk because you used the "wrong" filter, then use the Toyota branded filter.

One the one hand, you're afraid to use anything else because you're afraid for your warranty (out of ignorance); on the other hand, you want to believe some shyster salesman because he's telling you something you want to hear about "this one won't void your warranty".

What happens when it DOES void you warranty, mmmmm? I mean, if you're THAT worried about it...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"econo_cars" wrote in message news:ib3p8q$6u4$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

Of course it is safe to use a "replicated" filter. I'm not sure what that means, but it really doesn't matter.

They (car makers) didn't even put cabin air filters into cars until about

1990. You can REMOVE the cabin air filter if you want, all that will happen is that you will now breathe the same air that is outside already.

ANY cabin air filter is better than no cabin air filter, but no cabin air filter is no big deal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"econo_cars" wrote in message news:ib4dh2$cdd$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

This is a filter that benefits the occupants of the car, not the car itself. Frankly, if you own a Toyota with a Cabin Air Filter, odds are that it doesn't need to be replaced now, and may not need to be replaced ever to keep the warranty active. Think of the air filter on the central air system in your house -- the cabin air filter fulfils the same purpose, it collects dust so you don't keep breathing it.

When the cabin air filter needs to be replaced, you will notice significant loss of air flow through the life support system.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks Jeff.

Unfortunately Toyota has stated the opposite when I inquired. If the car came equipped with the cabin air filter it must be checked and replaced as needed per the service schedule. If the filter is removed and/or not replaced as needed any damage that occurs to the A/C system (including blower fan and blower motor) will NOT be covered under warranty. They will allow the use of 3rd party OE replacated filters, but only those that have received approval by Toyota which will be stated either on the box or in the enclosed install guide. I was told to keep the proof of purchase to show the dealership if A/C problems are experienced during the warranty period.

Other than a furnace filter there are no filters in this old pre WWII house. None of my family members are sick or have any type of respritory problems, but our house isn't air tight by any means either, nor were any of my other cars. Apparently these Yaris cars are suppose to have an air tight cabin. I don't know if it is all overkill/marketing for more money grabs, but I'm not prepared to lose my warranty by not replacing the filter at the time indicated in the service manual. After the warranty expires I'll not worry about replacing with a cheapy.

I have noticed in the oldest Yaris that the A/C isn't as good at it once was (not that it ever got icy cold like the 2 Camry A/Cs did). It still works, but doesn't get as cold as it did. Perhaps the new filter will allow more flow? The current (original OEM filter) is quite dirty with a lot of web like dust on it, and is closer to black than white. That's at just under

10,000 miles.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

OE replication is an exact or better replicate of the OEM. This doesn't mean aftermarket which may not even follow any of the spects for materials and/or dimensions besides basic fittings (trying to say if a cirle will take less material than the OEM square cut, and still fit the aftermarket can use a circle. The OE replicate is a clone using the same or better material, but generally will never be as cheap in price as non OE aftermarket stuff).

Again not according to Toyota. If the car was sold with one in the owner is required to replace it according to the service manual or risk losing warranty coverage should the A/C or related parts stop functioning properly.

I found a good replacement that will save approximately $23 a car. The savings are not the big deal, it is more knowing I'm being overcharged. Only sheep willingly overpay in my opinion.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

"econo_cars" wrote in message news:ib4p9q$fpd$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

My 2003 Corolla still has the same cabin filter that left the factory some

106K miles ago, but I've taken it out and carefully vacuumed it twice.
Reply to
Phxbrd

Shop around for Micronaire filters for your interior filter replacement. They are the OEM supplier for Toyota. I have at 2007 Corolla and the replacement cabin air filter only costs $15 at Parts Source in Canada. Its a 3 min job to change the filter and if you do it yourself you'll save $30 compared to letting the dealer doing it for you. You will probably do a better job than the dealer anyway because they certainly won't take the time to clean up any debris falling out of the old filter as it is being removed.

Reply to
GM homepc

ote

I've done that and also washed it out one time. It won't hurt it as long as you don't get carried away and shred the frame. Let dry and replace.. Cost? nada dollars and nada cents.. I'm not replacing it until it falls apart and is unusable. Only sheep pay at all in my opinion... chortle.. If it ever falls apart I may construct my own permanent filter that can be washed out every time.

Reply to
nm5k

I've done that and also washed it out one time. It won't hurt it as long as you don't get carried away and shred the frame. Let dry and replace.. Cost? nada dollars and nada cents.. I'm not replacing it until it falls apart and is unusable. Only sheep pay at all in my opinion... chortle.. If it ever falls apart I may construct my own permanent filter that can be washed out every time.

---------------

I'm surprised that K&N hasn't offered one. I've used their engine air filters for decades. Why anyone uses throwaway filters is beyond me.

Reply to
Phxbrd

no, you never asked Toyota.

You asked your Toyota dealer. Your Toyota dealer is an independent business.

And guess what? He said something to you that (a) you were already primed to hear, and which (b) benefitted the dealership. He tried to scare you into buying his $50 filter with the $50 install charge. Because that made him money.

You did NOT talk to Toyota. Not one bit.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I called the Toyota warranty questions number provided with the documentation that came with the car. If I called a dealership I would have said that. If you're going to continue to provide me with information that will jeopardize my warranty, just do me a favor and stop replying so I don't again waste my time reading the erroneous information you provide.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

Thanks for the useful information, and Jeff too.

There is a DIY on the net showing how to make a washable cabin air filter for Toyota Tundra.

Way too much work for me. I'll stick with the $24 option for now, its good for 10k miles and keeps me covered. After warranty I'll probably buy a cheap $8 one because like Jeff said something is better than nothing, or I'll try to vacuum it like you've suggested.

Thanks for the input on options.

Econo-cars.

Reply to
econo_cars

yeah, funny thing--that's not what they say on their web site.

uh-huh. So where is the part about "we've received written approval from the car manufacturer that use of this product will not void the warranty"?

Yeah. Not there.

You've never seen Tommy Boy, have you.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Why don't you look up the law regarding your warranty?

Of course, that's work. Right? You already have your preconceived notions; now, you're just trolling around the net, looking for people to reinforce your preconceived notions.

And when someone doesn't, when someone tells you otherwise, you get all defensive.

God forbid the world doesn't work the way you think it does.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Parts Source.

I found out during my research that CARQUEST Auto Parts (in Canada it is CARQUEST.ca and .com in the USA) redistributes a lot of OE equipment that has received car manufacturers written approval that warranty will not be voided, as written on the box or in the enclosed documentation. They sell, at a nice savings, the exact same cabin air filter that Toyota uses under the Toyota name, rebranded as CARQUEST.

Here is a quote from their guarantee to customers: Unmatched Selection of OE or Better Quality Products CARQUEST works in close partnership with many major automotive suppliers and manufacturers and provides products that meet or exceed original-equipment (OE) specifications and performance.

or
Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

What's the problem?

You're afraid that the law won't support your preconceived notion?

Let's just say for a moment that you actually called Toyota. They told you something. What they told you was designed solely to protect and further their corporate interests. Toyota has exactly zero interest in furthering YOUR interests.

In addition, Toyota is not obligated to tell you the law. And yet, you took it as such.

And now you're dismissing the written law that Toyota has to abide by. Well, I'm sure Toyota would love to dismiss that law, too, because it restricts their ability to make money. That you gave Toyota an opportunity to shovel their corporate PR flack into your brain, and gave them every indication that you believe them instead of any written law, only gives Toyota a smile.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty