Are OE Replicated Cabin Air Filters safe to use?

Warranty laws? ROFL, you are a waste of space.

You've been officially PLONKED. But you should feel proud, you're the first person I've every felt necessary to add to the blocked sender list.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

"econo_cars" wrote in message news:ib4olt$fho$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

The furnace filter is the one that does the same job as the cabin filter in your car.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"econo_cars" wrote in message news:ib4p9q$fpd$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

The only damage that can come to the vent system is from a dirty filter that causes the fan to cavitate -- it tries to move air but cannot.

Buy a filter if you need one (I doubt that you do, but can be wrong on this point), and install it yourself. The filter should run inthe neighborhood of $20, give or take, and you ought to be able to install it in a matter of minutes. Do not pay the dealer for his filter because it is more costly, and do not pay to have it installed because this is almost like paying the dealer to fill the gas tank for you.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

LOL, the good old days before self serve where we actually received service when purchasing gas.

I agree with your advice. After weighing all the options I think buying decent OE filters and installing them myself is the best option. I'll satisfy the warranty needs, while avoiding the feeling of being ripped off. I'll also have approximately $50 extra (2 filters for 2 cars) to apply towards the oil/filter changes which I do get done at the Toyota dealership because, believe it or not, the price is lower than even the cheap oil and lube centers.

Thanks for the realistic input Jeff, it helped a lot.

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars

Not quite, Originally the filters were to protect the equipment, not the occupants. For HVAC they now have 3M Filtrete filters, some of which (mainly the "ultra allergen" ones) have such a high static pressure drop that they are causing equipment failures. You pretty much need a magnahelic gauge installed across the blower to measure the TESP of the system and make sure it doesn't get any higher than the equipment spec sheet allows for.

As for MVAC the cabin filter is there to keep crud from building up on the evaporator coil and causing it to corrode and leak. Just do a Google search for evaporator leak to see how bad it can be.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know