Auto transmission

Hi, I have come into ownership of a 1995 toyota camry. I parked the car in the morning and when I came back in the afternoon the auto transmission would not move from the park position. It is just stuck there and can not even move into neutral. Please help. Is it a tramsmission problem or its electrical?

Reply to
drukuni

There is a switch that prevents the car from moving out of park unless the brake is depressed. It could be that. It can be also be a mechanical problem with the transmission. The switch is more likely.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" ...

Another possibility is that you might be parked on an incline without the parking brake on. This could be putting much pressure on this transmission Park setting, enough that it is stuck in place. If this is it a nudge from the downslope side might help things. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

As Jeff mentioned, make sure the brake pedal is depressed when you move the transmission shift lever out of park. If you put your ear to the shift console with the radio off, you should be able to hear a faint clicking when you depress the pedal and the ignition is on. If you cannot shift out of park with the brake pedal depressed, look for a small plastic button on the shift console. The button may have a slot so that you can use a key or screwdriver to pop off the button. Push a key or screwdriver into the opening and see if you can shift out of park. If that trick works, the shift lock solenoid and related circuit need diagnosis.

Reply to
Ray O