Automatic Anti-Glare Mirror switching

Tapping (as opposed to push & hold) button at bottom of rear view mirror (2006 Camry XLE) is supposed to turn automatic Anti-Glare feature off & on, according to manual. Instead, this turns the compass off & on. Pushing & holding that button cycles compass into Calibration mode, just like it's supposed to. So how can you turn off anti-glare? Dealerships and "Customer Experience Line" don't know. Anyone else have this problem? I'm sure it's same operation on 2005 and even earlier models as well.

Reply to
Peter

The anti-glare feature works subtly and gradually. You may be turning it on and off without knowing it. To test, while it is dark out, shine a light at the sensor on the mirror. The mirror will gradually darken if the anti-glare is activated. If it is not activated, it will not gradually darken.

Reply to
Ray O

I wish that that was it, Ray. But I Have confirmed the feature is always on per your test, Plus there is a green LED "on" indicator just to left of switch, which remains glowing at all times.

Thanks for responding though!

-- Peter

Reply to
Peter

Peter,

I realized that I didn't answer your question about whether you can de-activate the anti-glare feature, and my guess is the answer is yes so the switch on your mirror is probably bad.

If the dealership tells you otherwise, politely ask them to demonstrate the same operation on another similar car.

Reply to
Ray O

I have had a couple of cars with this feature and both have been extremely quick to react to light or dark. I was not aware that either could be switched off and I did not have any reason to do find out. IIRC they did not work unless the car lights were turned on.

Huw Huw

Reply to
Huw

The auto-dimming feature can be de-activated in both our Sequoia and LS 400. I guess "gradually" is not the best description on how the lightening and darkening occurs on our mirrors. It's more like someone turning a dimmer switch than an on-off effect.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote >

How do you dim after switching the auto system off? Both of mine did not have a manual tilting device as a back-up.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

There is no way to dim after switching the auto system off as there is no manual tilting device. I thought the auto-dim feature was another gadget but I've gotten used to it and like it.

Reply to
Ray O