Avalon 1997 Rear Wheel Noise

Just for fun until daylight ...

At low speed car sounds like loose junk in the trunk. At freeway speed, noise is gone (?).

When I kick the tire (right rear), it makes a clanking sound. Have checked lug bolts for tightness. Will remove in AM and take a look.

Possibilities?

Reply to
Bryan

Bryan,

On my '95 a 'rattling 2x4s in the trunk' noise was solved by replacing the 2 rubber bushings on the rear roll bar.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Reply to
cordest

Brake pads are rattling!

Took it to Goodyear and they said everything is fine and rattling brake pads are no problem except for the noise. Pads are still good; so will replace in about 5000 miles. What do you think?

Reply to
Bryan

We have never had rattling brake pads in our 97 Avalon, which now has around

100,000 miles. Of course, the brake work was done correctly, using only OEM pads.

If you can hear a clanking sound when the wheel is not moving, something back there is loose. Check the clamps that hold the parking brake cable, brake lines, and ABS sensor wires. Remove the rear rotor and check the condition of the parking brake. Inspect both the inside and outside of the pads for even wear.

Reply to
Ray O

We're up to 187,000 miles. With the rim removed I can wiggle the pads and get the same sound. Still, maybe this is one of those things that would be worth a second opinion.

Reply to
Bryan

You should not be able to easily wiggle the pads with the caliper in place. Something is missing, like the anti-rattle springs, or the caliper slide is bound up.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray, I'll pursue that idea.

Reply to
Bryan

You're welcome. How about letting your son drive the Avalon and getting something else for yourself? The Avalon is a known entity to you so you know what he is driving, which is why we let our boys drive the Avalon instead of getting rid of it and looking for something else.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, hmm ....

Reply to