Avalon accleration/mpg

The Toyota Avalon goes from 0 to 60 in 6.7 seconds...all while getting

22 miles per gallon. How did Toyota do that? That's better fuel economy than a lot of mid sized sedans get, and almost what the Cobalt gets(23).
Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

MPG from EPA estimates doesn't simulate the 0-60 speed test. Or, are you getting this from your actual consumption?

Reply to
edv

Toyotas and Hondas are usually class leaders in fuel economy, sometimes faring significantly better than EPA's estimates. My folks managed to get

43mpg on a road trip with their '04 Corolla (automatic) last fall.
Reply to
High Tech Misfit

we have an 05 Avalon and I've checked the mileage manually, comparing it with the "display" the display was always within about a tenth, with that said we've not taken it anywhere for any distance to check mileage except around town. I'd guess about an even 20. Usually its all town/commute so not really a fair test.

BUT, a LOT of power/acceleration.

I_ don't drive it much (except for fueling and taking to service) but usually it reads about 23 for the trip of 7-8 miles then

Reply to
Ron

I just got through reading that the EPA tests are going to more closely resemble real driving behaviors for future years; this will cause MPG estimates to go down as well. Per the article they said my

39mpg Yaris will probably drop to 34mpg. Except it won't really because I don't have a lead foot.
Reply to
Seerialmom

The Avalon's engine is a 3.5 liter V6 with double overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder, and variable valve timing with intelligence V6. Transmission is a

5 speed automatic. Curb weight of the Limited (the heaviest model) is 3,595 pounds. EPA mileage is 22/31. 268 HP @ 6200 RPM, 248 lb-ft @ 4700 RPM The engine is carrying 13.4 lbs/HP and 15 lb-ft per pound of curb weight.

There are 3 engines available in the Cobalt, the middle one is a 2.4 liter inline 4 with double overhead cam and 4 valves per cylinder. Transmission is a 4 speed automatic. Curb weight is 2,747 pounds. EPA Mileage for the sedan is 24/32. 173 HP @ 6200 RPM, 163 lb-ft @ 4800 RPM. 15.9 lbs/HP and

16.8 lb-ft per pound of curb weight.

The Avalon has more horsepower per pound but the Cobalt has more torque per pound. The Avalon's relative advantage in fuel economy may be due to the 5 speed transmission and final drive ratio.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm getting it from Consumer Reports.

Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

I have an 07 Avalon that I took delivery of in Oct 06. I am in sales and drive alot. I have 12,000 miles on it and have an overall average MPG of

27.6 I have had many cars in 30 years of outside sales: i.e. much Detroit iron. The XL Avalon so far is the best I have ever driven: quiet, comfortable, roomy, efficient, multi airbag safe, and fairly quick.
Reply to
Jeff Beeton

Hey Ray, I think tour torque figures are "boogered"? Where is our "metric gal" photo from the auto show? Ron in Ca

Reply to
Ron

My bad, I should have divided curb weight by max torque, not the other way around.

I only took a few pictures at the auto show, and after reviewing them, realized that there were no models in any of them, only vehicles :-(

I have a front and side of the 2008 Highlander, front, rear, and 2 sides of the FT-HS (possible Supra replacement), a picture of International's proposed replacement for the military Humvee, the 2008 Scin xB, anad 3 xD pictures. I'll send them to hachiroku and let him post them.

Reply to
Ray O

You had me scratching my bald head for a while Ray!

Edmunds had quite a few pictures of the 08 Highlander, it looks pretty good if they didn't go crazy with the price and load up all of them with the stuff nobody needs (but that makes them BIG money).

About price - wife had a training session in Sacramento a few weeks ago, so I was designated driver.

She said "go look at that Lexus RV you've talked about" So I did and of course they had it loaded (RX350) yep it was nice and fancy but a whole lot of it looks similar to my 02 base Highlander. Oh yeah, it was over $48k..... The peddler says "they all come loaded".

I'd rather get the new 'Lander, sure they'll be 10k less.

Ron in Ca

Reply to
Ron

Even monkeys fall from trees once in a while!

I like the style of the 2008 Highlander, it may be a candidate when it is time to get rid of our Sequoia.

Reply to
Ray O