Avalon cruise control light blinks but cruise doesn't engage

2003 Avalon. I changed the battery about a year ago and the CC quit working. Took it in to the dealer and it wasn't working on the way in. Then the mechanic comes and says he doesn't see anything wrong. Sure enough, it was working. Dunno what, if anything, they did. He said it needed time for the computer to synch up or something. I have to admit I was suspicious of the miraculous timing when it fixed itself. But anyway, that's history.

I don't use cruise much because I take a different car on road trips. When I recently did try it, the cruise control light comes on, but when I try to set speed it doesn't take and the cruise control light blinks. The car has about 40K miles on it, no accidents.

I guess what I want to know is what might cause that? I don't want to go in to the dealer and get scammed for a few hundred bucks repair if they just re-seat a plug or something. Any advice anyone?

--Lynn

Reply to
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz

The blinking cruise control light means that the CC computer has detected a problem. If the light is still blinking when you take it to the dealer, they can scan the computer memory for a fault code. Cruise control problems are not very common on Toyotas so unfortunately, there is no obvious place to look.

Reply to
Ray O

That much I can vouch for....the CC light on the instrument panel of my 2003 Avalon goes on when I activate the CC, and Does Not blink. And I'll agree with Ray that Toyotas seem to have very few problems with their electronics. It was explained to me once that Toyota stays with pretty much the same electronic set up year after year when they find something that works well and is trouble free. The Germans, on the other hand, seem to want everything that is NEW and THE LATEST thing....and they wind up putting a lot of unproven electrical crapola in their vehicles to their sorrow.

Reply to
mack

Yes, that's how it worked until it quit working. Thanks to both of your for your replies.

--Lynn

Reply to
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz

You're welcome! Please share what you or your repair facility finds.

Reply to
Ray O

OK, I will promise to do that. I'm a bit of a procrastinator and I am a little under the weather right now, so it won't be immediately. But in the near future...

--Lynn

Reply to
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz