Avalon Steering Recall & Belt Follow-Up

04 Avalon

Recall: I took the Avalon in for the recall. They kept it all day and got it all fixed (I guess). Belt Tension: They tightened the A/C belt slightly and the noise is gone.

Other: The dealer (Precision, Tucson) called me late in the afternoon. The service rep told me that the Avalon's water pump was weeping fluid, that I needed to have it changed. He also told me that they recommend replacing the timing belt and the power steering belt as both are six years old. Estimated charge: About $800.

I declined on this extra work as I have never noted any fluid loss in this car and, of course, you can't see the water pump without removing the timing belt cover. Anyhow, all is well as far as I can tell! Thanks to all for your advice. jor

Reply to
jor

Thanks for the follow-up.

Take a look at the passenger side of the engine at the bottom where the crankshaft pulley is and look for signs of moisture on the black plastic or behind the pulley. Also keep an eye on the coolant level and top off as necessary. Next time you have the timing belt replaced, think about replacing the water pump as well. They last about 2 timing belt changes.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, Ray. I'll check that today and repost. jor

Reply to
jor

You're welcome! Look at the lowest part of the cover where coolant would seep out.

Reply to
Ray O