Avalon theft deterrent system (TDS)

I have a 99 Avalon. The TDS has this irritating habit of arming itself.

Here's the latest thing that happened: We were sitting in the car with 3 doors open, ignition off, keys were in my pocket. I heard a clicking sound, looked down, and the TDS button was flashing. I shut the driver's door and the system starting sounding the alarm.

The system has armed itself twice before, both times when it had been locked by key and the remote had not been used.

I described the latest situation to a Toyota service advisor and he didn't have any idea what was going on.

Does anyone know what is happening here?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

You ask does anyone know what is happening here? I do. Your TDS is not functioning properly. You need to take it to a dealer and have the system analyzed and the fault corrected to eliminate the discrepancy.

If it was your intent to ask what IS causing the problem, who could possibly know? We don't have you car in one of our shops to do the analyzing. Anything else would only be conjecture on the part of any respondents ;)

mike hunt

Ed wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

For the latest thing, it almost sounds like something in your pocket is pushing the panic button on the remote or, after you shut off the engine, was there a time lag before you opened the doors? If so, there was enough time for they system to arm itself.

As far as the system arming it self on the 2 other occasions, that is normal operation. Under the default settings, I believe the system will arm itself when you shut off the engine and lock the doors, whether you lock with the power lock button, key, or remote. To disarm the system, you must unlock the doors with either a key or remote. If you reach in and unlock the doors manually or by using the interior power door lock button, the system will go off.

Toyota factory Theft Deterrent Systems are very reliable and all of the problems I've encountered were because the owner didn't fully understand how it can be armed or set off. Unfortunately, the owenr's manual is not always

100% clear in its explanation.
Reply to
Ray O

It rarely happens but I suppose it is untenable sometimes but I agree with Mike Hunt that you should have it taken in to be examined.

Keep in mind that TDS is not by Toyota. This is an aftermarket system installed by The Southeast Distributors, owned by Jim Moran's family. They're known to be faulty. Everyone should beware to insist on Toyota's factory alarm system, know as VIP (Vehicle Intrusion Protection).

Reply to
Viperkiller