bad ignition cylinder

How do I replace the ignition cylinder on a 98 Toyota camry. The key will not turn past the acc point. I had a new key made no good dealer says replace the lock cylinder. Any help out there

Reply to
andymac

I think the dealer is right.

You need a new cylinder. Just be glad it is not the other type of cylinder (the one with a piston in it).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
andymac

I think you are talking about the ignition lock cylinder. To replace it, turn the steering wheel so that it is perpendicular to the straight ahead position and disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait about 5 minutes for the supplemental restraint system capacitor to discharge to avoid accidental deployment of the air bag.

Remove the screws in the steering column cover behind the steering wheel and check underneath and remove any screws from there as well. With the upper cover removed, insert the key in the lock and unlock the cylinder and unplug the wire harness from the switch. Remove the lock cylinder and reverse the process with the new lock cylinder.

Reply to
Ray O