Bad transmission fastener can lead to limping '07 Toyota Camry

Bad transmission fastener can lead to limping '07 Toyota Camry By MARK RECHTIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

6:00 am, May 2, 2006

LOS ANGELES - Just two months into the launch of its redesigned 2007 Camry, Toyota has a problem on its hands.

A fastener in the automatic transmission can loosen, and as a result drivers can lose the use of second and sixth gear.

The vehicle still can limp to a dealership, however. The problem applies only to the models with a V-6 and a six-speed transmission.

About 90 owners have reported the problem out of 5,800 vehicles so equipped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels.

Toyota is treating the problem with a technical-service bulletin sent to dealers, not a recall. As a result, owners must wait for the transmission to fail before it can be repaired under warranty.

The incorrectly seated fastener, also called a snap ring, may realign itself during normal driving, Michels said.

Toyota has changed the production process to improve seating of the fastener. The same transmission is used in the redesigned Lexus ES 350, but a later production start date meant the problem was caught before production began.

Reply to
badgolferman

Well, at least Toyota works to fix tranny problems, which is more than one can say for Ford or Crapsler.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Also the article says 90 out of 5800 vehicles. That's a pretty low percentage.

Reply to
badgolferman

Chrysler problems were external sensors. Not fasteners inside. I rather have to spring for a $30 sensor rather than take an AT apart.

Reply to
Art

$30!!!!!

Last time I checked, $150!!!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

You were ripped off. One of my sensors went on the 300M. With labor it did not even hit the $50 deductible of my service agreement.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
dsmith

Unfortunately, the problem IS affecting the Lexus as well. My ' 07 ES350 has the transmission problem at EXACTLY 500 miles!

Reply to
dsmith

Go away TROLL, Toyotas never break down. You MUST have done something to the car LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Toyota hase a much bigger problem with the new speed transmission than they will admit, and in my case, they are not even able to properly diagnose and repair the problem.

I own a 2007 Camry XLE V6/6sp Auto that has been plagued with transmission problems since about 1000 miles. I how have 2600 miles on it. Toyota corporate Technicians are not sure what to do to fix the problem, and their corporate customer service is a joke. They have replaced parts and that made the problem much worse. Right now I'm in a holding pattern waiting for the techs at Toyota corporate to decide what to try next.

Toyota's reputation has been one of building quality vehicles and standing behind them with good customer service. I can tell you from first hand experience that both of these are just a myth.

My car is Japanese built and was manufactured in March 2006. It has several fit and finish problems including rattles and clunks and large gaps in the dash where plastic parts don't fit together properly.

I've been in contact with Toyota's corporate customer service and all they have given me is lip service. They are not at all interested in taking care of me as a long term Toyota Customer. I've owned 5 Toyota's previous to this one but I've learned my lesson the hard way. No more Toyota's for me.

So my advice to anyone considering buying a Toyota is DON'T BUY IT. If you do, there is a good chance that you'll regret it just as I do.

Reply to
seamorflops

What kind of transmission problems does your car have? What are the symptoms?

Where are you located?

Reply to
Ray O

How about the 4-cylinder inline for the '07 Camry? Has anyone been reporting problems with that car's tranz yet? Doesn't the 4 cylinder for '07 carry the _exact_ same transmission as the fine '06 Camry four-banger?

I hope the 2 trannies for '07 and '06 are absolutely identical for the

4-inline. Any skimping at the head office on the '07 4-banger's tranz?
Reply to
Built_Well