bando belt

I had the timing belt replaced on my 97 camry 4 at the dealer last week. They replaced the power steering and the drive belts too. After it was all done I noticed the drive/alternator belt was a Bando (Made in America). Is this a good belt and is it typical of them to use these belts? Total price was $288.

Reply to
badgolferman

Had the belts replaced on my Tacoma last year. It came with all Mitsuboshi belts, one of the new replacements was a Bando . Bando is also an old and respected Japanese company that is making its product here now. I have had no problems. My '04 Accord came with a Bando serpentine belt from the factory. I think it is a high quality belt. The belts that I replaced on my Tacoma were 5 years old with 62000 miles in Arizona heat and they still looked like new, I still wonder why I replaced them. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Yes. I've ordered replacement belts using the Toyota part numbers from a Toyota dealer and installed them myself. They were the Bando brand and felt quite solid also. I'm sure they meet the factory specifications and requirements. Looked like good belts to me. The only thing I say about belts is that the factory maintenance schedule calls to check belt tension and you might want to tighten them as needed after a couple thousand miles. As I've mentioned before, I have the Burroughs belt tension gauge the factory repair manual recommends and I think it's kind of cool to set it on the belt and be able to watch the belt tension indicated in pounds move as you tension it, dialing in just the right number. There's actually quite a range for acceptable belt tension. Something like plus or minus twenty pounds, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone else actually use the gauge - they all just tighten to what feels about right. First time I checked I think the belt was apx. 40 lbs. too loose. Once it's been in use for some time and re tensioned, they seem to stay fine after that.

Reply to
Daniel

Earlier on Toyota was using Dayco (you see Dayco printed along side Toyota). Then they went cheap and went to GoodYear. I can't believe they are using Bando now!

That's why I go to local parts store or NAPA and buy Gates belts and hoses. "Gates designed and produced the industry's first V-belt and today is the world's largest manufacturer of V-belts, timing belts and serpentine belts. Learn about Gates Micro-V belts, XL=AE belts, timing belts and more."

I know Toyota wants to cut costs. But for what Toyota asks for at the counter, I don't see why you have to get anything like a Bando.

Reply to
johngdole

You seem to indicate Bando is cheap stuff, whereas the other responders say it is good. May I ask how you come to this conclusion? Is it Gates or nothing?

Reply to
badgolferman

Reply to
Wolfgang