Battery hooked up backwards

My brother hooked the battery up incorrectly in my LS430, 02 Year. Now none of the electronics work. There any main fuses/relays I need to check?

Reply to
michael.hackler

trace the wires from the bat terminals to the devices. If you see or smell something burnt, replace it.

Reply to
EdV

Check the under-hood master fusible links first. The manual will usually point out the physical location of the box.

If all those are good, head to the fuse box and start checking individual fuses.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Let me guess. The battery for that vehicle (like my Camry) is asymmetrical (the posts are not down the middle) and you or your brother bought the wrong one, and your brother figured it was OK to just switch the polarity?

Hopefully the computer has not been fried, in which case you are going to be walking with a limp very soon, because your wallet is going to be a lot lighter than before.

Reply to
Mark A

That's not necessarily true. If you buy the ECU from the dealer, you're likely right. You can usually get a working ECU that should function fine off eBay. Sure, it's a risk but for the money you save it's probably a worthwhile risk. Then you just pay that and the labor and you can have the dealer install /calibrate it.

Reply to
mrsteveo

Or, maybe pay the labor twice if the thing turns out to be lame.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I though it would be from kicking his brother's @$$...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think even in the event you had to pay labor twice for having a bunk unit, you'd still come out ahead money wise. Time wise? No. Money wise? More than likely. Depending on how valuable your time is, this may be worth the risk. It's up to the OP I guess but I think I would take the risk, personally...

Reply to
mrsteveo

There is a main fusible link that is probably open. Look in the fuse box under the hood for the 100a link.

Reply to
Ray O

I doubt that the ECU got fried, they have several layers of protection before the power gets that far - and one of those is the diodes in the alternator coupled through the Master Fusible Links that will blow it open to protect everything else. You do have to consider the possibility of a faulty ECU, but only after you've checked all the fuses and fusible links, and eliminated the Usual Suspects.

And now you know why you always have some friends and relatives you do NOT loan any complex or expensive equipment to, or ask to help around the shop. "No brains, no headaches."

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

This reminds me of something funny (in retrospect) that happended years ago. The 6v battery in my VW bug was deader than a doornail. I pulled my one ton Chevy truck up close. I figured (go figure) that I could hook that 12v up to that 6v and be up and running in no time. I hooked the cables onto the Chevy and leaned into the VW and hooked the other end onto the VW's battery (battery is under the back seat in the old VWs). Then I climbed into the driver's seat of the veedub and turned the key. Nothing. OK, I twisted around in the driver's seat, grabbed one of the cables and gave it a twist. K-A-B-O-O-M!!! Jeez, my ears were ringing; there was bits of battery casing in my face; there was wet battery acid everywhere! I made a bee-line for the hose but it was in the 20s out so it was frozen. I found some water and soaked my face. Hey, I can see still! Well, after a while I went back to survey the damage. The top of the VW's battery was blown completely off. Both terminals were just hanging out (but they were still connected). Hey, I wonder... Well, I turned the key and that baby fired right up! I headed for Albuquerque and bought a new battery. They looked at me askance but gave me the core money. I know - pretty stupid but there are other stories... jor

Reply to
jor

You never have anything useful to say because you are a God damn idiot!

Reply to
Go Mavs

Oh. You think that if the dealer installs a part you bought elsewhere, they'll charge you only once if the part fails and needs to be replaced? Or, are you reiterating what mrsteveo said, but with nowhere near as much class as he stated his points?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Damn. Well, those six volt starter motors do love getting 12 volts. It's one major advantage to switching everything (else) over to 12 in an old VW.

Reply to
Smitty Two