Battery No Longer Powerful

Optima YellowTop battery since 5/07. (about $160)

Recently if I just play radio (engine off) for just under 10 mins, the car won't start. Is it because it's not being charged ? or is the battery a goner - Is there anything I can do to revive the battery ?

thanks

Reply to
Terry

We can't tell if the charging system is working properly or there is a problem with the battery. Or both. Often, a bad charging system will kill a battery. And a bad battery and damage the charging system.

You need to take the car to a shop to have the charging system and battery tested.

If you have the Optima battery that looks like six-pack of soda (or beer B-) ) with a yellow top, the warranty is over.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Some car parts stores, like AutoZone, will test your battery and charging system for free, but you can do some testing yourself with a cheap digital multimeter, and even the ones Harbor Freight offers for < $10 ($3 with coupon) are very accurate. OTOH don't use a cheap analog meter because they can be really awful. A charging system in good shape will put out about 13-15V with the engine running at a fast idle.

It seems Optimas don't last any longer than regular batteries, and if you don't take a long, uninterrupted drive every couple of days, you can usually make any car battery last 1-2 years longer by hooking it to an external charger every week.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Although it's fashionable in some circles to hate the organization, Consumer Reports did what seemed like a good job of rating car batteries.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom