Belt squeal in 03 Corolla

When started cold, there is a squeal coming from the belt area. It's not loud, but I can hear it in the garage when I start the car and then when I open the hood the sound is very obvious.

What causes this? The car has 33,000 miles on it. Is there a way to tighten the belt, or does it have a self-tensioner?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

replacing that belt is pretty simple, ernie. You only have one, and it's tensioned hydraulically, so there really isn't anything involved besides taking it off and throwing another one on. If you wanna put one on I'll post a step by step.

Qslim

Thank you, that would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Ernie Sty

*Alright, first take careful note of the belts routing. If you don't have a manual that shows it, grab a pen and sketch it out so you get it back on the right way. Now find the tensioner. *On the top of the belt routing you;ll see a pulley attached to an arm that is bolted to the rear right corner of the head. On that arm you're looking for a 19mm hex head that is a molded part of the tensioner, in other words its not a bolt on the stud. *Get a socket on it, and if you don't have breaker bar then use a wrench and put a pipe on it for leverage. Pull forward and the tensioner pulley arm should drop down allowing slack in the belt. Slip it off the alternator pulley and remove it. *Installation is in the reverse of removal, and it'll be a miracle if you can get the new belt around the pulleys with out swearing up a storm. It takes a little patience. Post if you need a hand.

Qslim

Thanks a million!!

Reply to
Ernie Sty