Belts still squeekin' even after replacement? '90 Celica

I recently replaced the alternator -- A/C serpentine belt on my '90 Celica. Before, the belt would constantly squeel as I drove. I would tension the belt but after about a day, it would begin to squeel again. I decided to replace it and this seemed to solve the problem quite nicely. However, the belt seems to be squeelin' again. Now it will make a terrible screech as I start the vehicle and sometimes when I turn my wheel when beginning to drive.

I don't exactly want to have to replace the belt again if it is a more serious issue such as something causing the belt to become warped or damaged.

Any ideas...? Thanks.

Reply to
omnineko

Check to see if the belt is loose. If it is, then the alternator (or whatever is used to apply tension) is not tight enough.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
omnineko

Is there only one belt, or is there another that drives the power steering pump?

Reply to
FantomFan

Its a common one on these cars - mine did the same and still does make a squirrelly noise, 3 belts later. I dont have the under-trays fitted so the belt gets wet/dirty easily which doesnt help. Tightening it will help for a while but it will come back. I think the pulleys get worn. Theres "belt dressing" that you can get that makes them sticky, i use that once a week.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Perhaps it is becoming untensioned somehow. Maybe gremlims. Maybe a bad tensioner.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Reply to
Ray O

First, you have to figure out whether the belt tension is loose or not and whether the alternator has moved or not. A dab of paint would tell you this, as would measuring how far you can depress the belt.

Also, is the belt aftermarket or OEM? An aftermarket belt's profile may not be exactly the same as OEM.

Reply to
Ray O

The belt is aftermarket. First I used a belt that I purchased from NAPA Auto Parts and then I used a Goodyear belt. This belt seemed to not squeek. However, the problem is only getting worse as the days pass. I will re-tension the belt tomorrow to try and remedy this issue. I will also tighten the bolt for the alternator as tight as I can manage (without causing damage of course). Hopefully this will solve my issue.

Thanks again!

Reply to
omnineko

Be careful about putting too much tension on the belt because it can cause premature bearing failure on the components driven by the belt, like the alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor, etc.

Next time, get a belt from a Toyota dealer. My guess is the belt squeal is caused by a "close but not quite right" fit on the belt grooves.

Reply to
Ray O