Bench Testing a Radio/CD Player

As a result of my troubles posted in a previous thread, I now have the stock Radio/Tape Deck/Cd Player out of the '94 4-runner and want to bench test it. Are the power and ground wires part of the harness that plugs into the unit? There's another plug hole next to the antenna hole. I found a thick black wire that I think plugged into that hole, but the previous owners have made a mess of the wiring. What is that black wire that runs parallel to the antenna wire. There's also some kind of wire and plug in the rear luggage compartment coming out of the storage box on the driver's side, was that OEM? What might it be?

Reply to
Windsurfer

Normally, yes - go get the "theft kit" connectors at any good electronics or stereo shop, it should plug right into the back of the radio.

That will have memory power, operating power, ground, dash illumination, and speaker connections.

Some radios have auxiliary output leads for Power Antenna Auto-up (on only when set to Radio) and external amplifier on lead (on whenever the radio or CD or tape or AUX is playing). These are pilot duty, put a relay on them if they will sink more than a half ampere.

Might be the Auto Up lead going to the power antenna.

Some cars had an optional CD Changer in the trunk. Sometimes they put the wiring in all the wiring harnesses in all cars even if the option isn't installed at the factory, just to make it easier to put it in at the dealer.

It's much cheaper in the long run to make one 'universal' body harness that covers all available options than having dozens of slightly different body wiring harnesses for various combinations of options, and having to track which one goes in each car on the assembly line.

And then the workers are handed one of a dozen or more different harnesses to install as each car comes down the line, which will thoroughly mess up any rhythm and speed they might build up.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

As Bruce mentioned, the power, ground, illumination, antenna control, and speaker wires are all part of the harness that plugs into the unit. There will be 2 power feeds - 1 that is live with the ignition/accessory switch, and 1 that is live all the time to retain the radio station presets and theft deterrent function.

Look in the right rear window or rear window for thin wires embedded that look like defroster wires. If you find an extra set of wires embedded in the window, the vehicle came with a diversity antenna system. Basically, with a diversity antenna system, there are 2 antennas - the mast antenna in front and another antenna embedded in a window somewhere. The radio monitors the quality of the signals from the antenna and chooses the antenna with the best signal. The hole that looks like an antenna hole may be the second antenna feed.

If the wire and plug coming out of the storage box in the back looks like this:

then it is for trailer lighting.

If the wire connector has a lot more wires, then it is probably for a CD changer.

Reply to
Ray O

Go to Scosche's web site and get a Toyota OEM plug. It's color coded with industry standard colors (red for +12 IGN, Yellow for +12 BATT, etc) and plugs into the Toyota radio. Easiest way to do it.

If you Google, you can probably find a pinout somewhere, or go to your Toyota garage and ask the Service Manager. If he's a decent guy he'll print out the wiring diagram for you...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks fellas for the quick responses. I found that the sound unit works as the wiring plug was just loose. Consequently, it has been put back to working order. However, as to

wire that I think plugged into that hole, but the previous owners have made a mess of the wiring. What is that black wire that runs parallel to the antenna wire.>The right rear window does have a diversity antenna system. The hole that looks like an antenna hole must be the second antenna feed.

Reply to
Windsurfer

You kinda ran outta steam there! ;)

You can splice the wire back together by trying to find a plug that matches the one you cut off. They are crimped on at the outer case, and the center wire is soldered. You may be able to remove the plug from the wire that was snipped and reattach it. Alternately, you may be able to get a new wire (complete) from the dealer; they attach in a similar fashio as the rear window defroster leads.

I have had two cars with Diversity antennas, a 240SX and my Supra. The Supra had the OEM radio but I yanked it, and the 240SX had a different radio in it. Don't know if it works or not!

At any rate, try Radio Shack (although they are getting out of 'hobbyist' supplies and more towards consumer electronics) or find a first-rate stereo shop. They may be able to help you out.

Good luck! Let us know if the reception increases!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The person who sold you the vehicle obviously know little about audio installations, or they would not have butchered the factory harness and they would have known the difference between an antenna and a defroster wire in a side window.

Take the antenna connector that you snipped off and follow Hachi's advice by taking it to Radio Shack or an electronics supply store.

The reception may improve, but if you have a strong, clean signal most of the time, you probably won't notice the absence of one of the antennas.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, I was one step ahead of you, Ray O. I went to Radio Shack, but they couldn't help me with the mini-coaxial splice. I did find some information on the net, but I'm not so sure it's what I want. Futher research might yield a solution, but right now I have too much else to do. The reception for the radio satisfies me. I closed up the panels under the dash so it will be a hassle setting it all straight with the divesity antenna. There's a great electronics store in Needham outside of Boston. If it is still there, I might drop by sometime and see what they can do. For now, though, I've called it quits with this. I'm pretty sure the connection in the back is for a disc changer. I might someday install one as I can't seem to get the player that was part of the sound unit to work.

Reply to
Windsurfer

Well, now, this could get interesting!

I'm in the Greenfield area; we have NOTHING! There used to be a really great store in Springfield, but they're long gone. There aren't really any good electronics places out here. There is one in the Springfield area, one of the national chains, and because of the lack of supply houses in the area they will send you onesie-twosies, but it's a pain to get to from here.

Reply to
Hachiroku

To wrap it up here, let me inform you that I went into a Nantucket Sound store in Hyannis and talked to an experienced employee. He said that he's installed a thousand aftermarket sound systems in Toyotas if he has installed one. None of them are equiped to take the second diversity antenna. No one came back and complained about the reception.

Reply to
Windsurfer

Nah. I had a couple cars with Diversity and replaced them with JVC MP3/CD players and never had a problem.

Supposedly it helps with multipath rejection, but my BIL had a Nissan with it and I never noticed a difference...

Reply to
Hachiroku