Bird versus Camry

The summer before last I was renting a house in addition to my apartment. (I had planned to move from the apartment to the house, but decided I liked the apartment better, so for a year I was paying 2 rents.)

Anyway, during the months I stayed at the house, I fell in love with bird watching. The house had a large back yard with lots of trees. I put lots of bird feeders and bird baths outside.

The only problem with that setup was the grackles that loved to dive-bomb my silver Camry. I would often clean off the droppings but not always. Anyway, there are about 20 spots on the Camry's roof and trunk that refuse to go away. They're the result of the bird droppings. Grackles are big birds. For some reason, the front hood was spared.

So how do I get my paint job back to normal? Waxes? Polishes? Professional care? It doesn't look that bad and sometimes it's not at all visible, but if the light catches the paint just right, the aftermath of the droppings can be seen.

Reply to
Built_Well

The only wax I've tried so far on the 2006 paint is the Eagle One Wax As-U-Dry product. It's a spray-on you apply just after you wash the car and just before you start drying. I've used a terry cloth towel with the Eagle One to try and rub the droppings out, but they won't go away. Maybe I need a wax pad attached to a drill or buffer?

Reply to
Built_Well

There is a blue colored detailing compound, not cheap but widely available, that is very helpful for cleaning birdshit.

You can also use a polishing compound.

I will try to publish some brand names in a day or so.

I hate f***ing boattailed grackles. San Antonio is fully of those nasty beasts.

Reply to
hls

========

Grackles are messy birds for sure, but I like them because of the neat metallic vocalizations they make.

I think I saw a polishing compound at O'Reilly Auto Parts that's made by 3M. I'll try that, then. Looking forward to any other brands you like.

Reply to
Built_Well

Bird droppings should be removed from painted surfaces as soon as possible because it is very caustic and will eat through the paint. It is possible that the droppings have eaten through the clear coat.

Try McGuiar's polishing products - that is what Toyota used to recommend to clean up minor damage from acid rain, and then apply a good wax afterwards. Good wax requires some elbowgrease to apply - the spray-on stuff is not as durable as the stuff that needs elbowgrease.

I do not recommend using a buffer attached to a drill unless you know what you are doing because it is very easy to burn the paint. There are random-orbit polishers for consumers that seem to work well although they require patience.

Reply to
Ray O

You're in a bit of trouble. How long has it been since the birds dive-bombed your car? Over the summer?

Try Ray's suggestion first. Meguire's makes excellent products. I would try with the Professional series cleaner #1. It is a fairly hard cutting solution, so rub gently. Follow (or alternately) start with Cleaner #2. It's not as agressive as #1, but may not move enough paint to clean the spots.

Follow with #3 New Car Glaze and either #26 Professional Yellow Wax or #7 yellow wax to restore the lustre.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to get more aggressive with a 3M or similar product to really move the paint around. I would use a soft damp rag to start with 3M Microfinishing Compound, available at most car parts places. If you're REALLY lucky, you'll find a bottle of Fill 'n Glaze Pink, but it's getting real hard to find becuase of the high VOC content, but it is the best.

Too bad you didn't tell us about this earlier. Depending how long the bird poop has been eating the paint, you may even need a respray of the roof. Good news is, the roof panel is a quick spray and easy to match.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Zymol makes an abrasive compound that is very fine, and sells for way more than it's worth, but will actually do the job.

The important part, though, is to now put a heavy and hard wax layer on the surface after cleaning it, so that additional damage doesn't result.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Zymol is the blue material that I was struggling to find the name for in a previous post. It is expensive, but works well.

"Rubbing compound" as we used to call it would also help take off stubborn stains.

Keeping it waxed once he has it clean is, as others have said, important. Some of these new waxing compounds are extremely easy to apply. And, they dont whiten rubber parts, nor leave swirls. You can wax and wipe down the car in a half hour or so.

Reply to
hls

They should also make metallic vocalizations when hit with a slug of lead.

If you don't want to take them out, suggest scaring the shit of them by painting big eyes and snakes on the roof of your car.

Bird shit is virtully harmless when compared with flying fox shit. It goes on the consistency of jelly and then dries to a hard finish. By then it is too late and the damage has been done. What is more, it is risky to touch the stuff without gloved hands, because of the danger from viruses.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Reply to
Busman

____________________________________

2003 FORD THUNDERBIRD PERFORMANCE SPECS: 3,948 cc 3.9 liters 8 V front engine with 86.1 mm bore, 85.1 mm stroke, 10.8 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder Premium unleaded fuel Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 9.8 Multi-point injection fuel system Main 68 liter premium unleaded fuel tank Power: SAE and 209 kW , 280 HP @ 6,000 rpm; 286 ft lb , 388 Nm @ 4,000 rpm

~VS~

2003 CAMRY PERFORMANCE SPECS: 2,362 cc 2.4 liters 4 in-line front engine with 88.4 mm bore, 96 mm stroke, 9.6 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder 2AZ-FE Unleaded fuel Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 7.4 Multi-point injection fuel system Main 70 liter unleaded fuel tank Power: SAE and 117 kW , 157 HP @ 5,600 rpm; 162 ft lb , 220 Nm @ 4,000 rpm

Now THAT's Bird vs. Camry!

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

========

Why would you compare a 4-cylinder to an 8-cylinder? I hope Toyota doesn't have you that spooked ;-)

Reply to
Built_Well

___________________ BuiltWell, I'm probably almost as simple-minded as that guy on Pennsylvania Ave, catch my drift? So when I come across a thread titled "Bird vs. Camry", the LAST thing to cross my mind is how to get bird dookey off the hood of a Toyota!

Reply to
ChrisCoaster