Black Exhaust - what to clean, fix, or replace?

Hello Folks -

Well, the saga continues. My latest problem/project/question involves my 95 Camry with 135k.

The back end of the car is always "sooty," for example the white liscense plate is currently grey from exhaust. I was following my wife last weekend (an adventure in and of itself! Shh!) when I noticed small puffs of black smoke when she accelerated (a frequent event for her....ugh!). Through a little bit of research I have come to understand that black exhaust smoke if often a sign of the engine running "rich" from fuel. This little tidbit caught my attention as I have been trying to figure out why this Camry (4V) gets gas mileage in the low

20's. It had dipped below 20mpg a month ago, increased tire pressure and cleaning the air intake helped it get into the 23 area. A bit of history might help. The distributor cap, wires, and spark plugs were all replaced at a shop about a year ago, however while I paid a pretty penny for these items (80-90 for the wires alone) I have since determined the shop to be pretty darn crooked and I would not be surprised if they replaced these parts with crappy non-oem stuff.

So my question, drum roll What do I need to fix, replace, clean to make the engine stop running "rich." ? Fuel injectors? O2 sensor?

As always, thank you to all in this forum who have help me with a variety of projects over the last few months.

Blake

Reply to
zachenos

Is the check engine light "on" and does it work properly? Running that rich for any lengthy period can ruin the catalytic converter. Make certain that the emission systems are running "closed loop" when at operating temperature, if not, it could be something as simple as a coolant temp sensor. Check the O2 sensor ahead of the cat and clean it if you find any amount of buildup caking the sensor surface with a clean rag and carburetor cleaner. Replace if necessary. Check the EGR valve for proper operation, and clean it if necessary. Check vacuum hose system for leaks, misroutes, ect. Those will probably be the cheapest possible fixes for you, after that, you may have a leaking injector(s) that will cost considerably more to replace.

Reply to
user

Follow Ph@Boy's advice, and think about installing OEM ignition parts.

Reply to