bolt on sports rack for toyota matrix?

Hi there, I just purchased a 2005 toyota matrix and I wanted to know if anyone installed a 'factory' roof rack to the matrix? I would like to avoid using Yakima "clips" and instead have a rack system that is permanently mounted to the roof... Yakima does sell a bolt-on track system and I wanted to know if anyone has this (or the Thule version) actually bolted into the roof of their toyota matrix and what are their opinions? There is also a thin rubber strip that is on the roof of the matrix and I was wondering if any product could somehow take advantage of that (and given that the Pontiac Vibe can be purchased with a roof rack).

Thanks!

Reply to
Cakes

The Vibe has a different body than the Matrix and the rack parts won't fit.. The Vibe's rear hatch hinges below the rack while tha matrix's hatch has a little spoiler that aligns with the roof and raises with the hatch. I don't know of any "permanent" rack for the Matrix.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

MAWB go down to your local Pontiac dealer and have them install the rack they put on their "Toyota," wagon, the Vibe. Looks good, prefect fit, with a warranty to boot. ;)

mike hunt

Cakes wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

What color is the sky in your world? ;)

mike hunt

Greywolf wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

Why?

I work in a bicycle shop who sells Yakima and Thule and have racked many Matrixes, including my wife's best friend's for kayaks. If his falls off, think about what happens to me...

Properly installed, both companies racks are about as good as it gets.

Most "factory" racks are simply taped on, and are limited to the same

125 lbs. or so as a clamp-on system.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Thanks for all of your replys. After almost going with a hitch mount, I decided to have RackNRoad of San Jose, California install a Yakima custom track system (a bolt on system). They did a FANTASTIC job and I am very happy with it. I was nervous but the tracks actually improve the appearance of the matrix when before was just a plain and boring rooftop. I am glad that I didn't go with the clips.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Cakes