Bought a basic Yaris sedan

Yes, we dived into this head first, and for the last 4 weeks are very happy with its' performance. Gas milage is amazing (don't have exact numbers yet, but if we went 200 km on ~1/4 tank, that is something - will have more details next week on actual consumption). Accelaration is sufficient (we are not racers), and so is everything else.

Read the guide end-to-end, and found some hillarious text: apparently, the guide (manual?) was written in Japan (as the car was built there), and in one of the explanations about good and bad fuses, the text actually shows 'brown' fuse as bad. As I knew that in Japanese the distinction between the letters L and R is not there (don't exist in the alphabet), I understood it, but assume someone who has no idea - what the heck is a brown fuse?

Another mystery to be solved: the illustration for the trunk shows some side pockets (for storage), but close inspection of the trunk revealed flat floor on either side - does anyone have any idea if these pockets ever existed?

If anyone from Toyota (anywhere: Canada, US, Japan) reads these message, kindly review your documentation for accuracy (brown fuse, trunk storage). The sales force was totally useless, and we knew way more than them. Pity that the whole sale process still took too many hours to complete (we knew exactly what we wanted and for how much, told them, and still they went through their spiel - including an un-necessary test drive). In that sense, they have not done a great job.

P.S. The Yaris was a great leap fro my wife - she drove a 1992 Tercel till now and the Yaris feels heavier - it is heavier, but much nimbler to handle. Sorry to put the NA manufacturers down, but their products suck when compared to Asian ones. I drive a Saturn and feels clumsy, even when compared to the Tercel.

If anyone has any question regarding the Yaris, feel free to conatct me

- I'll be glad to answer. It is an amazing little car and the cost was very reasonable.

Reply to
ns

I presume it's a BLOWN fuse? How do they distinguish between Port and Starboard? I know the Japs had a Navy, after all those Mitsubishi A6M's didn't get to Pearl Harbor by wishing themselves there.

I always forget which one has the R sound and which one has the L sound, but if I remember correctly Japanese has an R sound but no L sound (Domo Arrigato, Mr. Roboto.) Whereas I beleive Chinese has the L sound but no R sound.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Hi Charles of Schaunburg:

I believe you are correct, although we spent a month in Japan and China last year and just about everyone we contacted spoke better english than me. BTW, do you work for the big M? Graybeard

Reply to
Graybeard

Yes, 'brown' fuse is blown fuse - lol.

As promised, I have the > Hi Charles of Schaunburg:

Reply to
ns

Japanese does not have an alphabet, as such. The written language consists of kanji (unique pictograms, Chinese in appearance), hiragana (a syllabary used to write Japanese words for which there is no pictogram), and katakana (a second syllabary used to write non-Japanese words). The two kana are not alphabets, but a set of symbols representing sounds; each character has a unique sound and if you know the "code" you can read aloud anything written in kana, even if you don't understand a single word of it.

Both syllabaries lack an "L" sound because there is none in the spoken language.

The Japanese also use Roman characters (romaji) for transcribing things originally written in Western alphabets.

Reply to
larwe

I think it was "Mark" who stated:

You can count on that. As an engine is broken in, its mileage typically improves. My xB certainly did; from 27 mpg for its first five or so tankfuls to about 33-35 mpg for its mileage over this summer. It still might not reach the advertised mileage, though; they are usually pretty optimistic.

[FIXED the post positioning]

I don't believe that ns meant he only went 100 km. The "6.1 L/100 km" is an expression of mileage, not an expression of distance traveled.

-Don

-- Pooder approved this post . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

Don, you are correct: we drove close to 1,500 km. The 6.1 L/100 km is the equivalent expression of 38.5 mpg. I sure hope that this figure will improve. I'm aware of the rosy lenses the EPA (or in our case, Transport Canada) and the manufacturer are wearing when they tout these numbers (no accessories switched on, windows closed, DRL disabled - I'm familiar with all those tricks).

Reply to
ns