Brake light comes on 2002 Sienna

Hi to all:

Just recently, the red "Brake light" which use to go off after releasing the emergency brake comes on.

We first noticed that it came on only for a few seconds in the morning when the van was warming up. Now, it comes on more frequently.

I am changing the oil and antifreeze tomorrow. Should I check the brake fluid level, and pull both rear wheels as well?

I just checked the front disc pads within the last 2 weeks and they are fine. I changed them about 6,000 miles ago.

There are no other symptoms. I've seen people discussing low voltage levels regarding this as well.

Thanks for all the help,

Art

Reply to
mathtutoring

The most likely cause of the brake warning light coming on is low brake fluid level. If the fluid level is low, add some, but not to the "full line" because it will overflow the next time you do your brakes.

The next most likely cause is a stuck or faulty switch on the parking brake pedal or lever, and then the float switch in the cap for the brake fluid reservoir.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the advice. The brake fluid is low, and will put some in tomorrow.

Art

Reply to
mathtutoring

It is perfectly ok to fill the brake fluid to the full line. That is what the line is for. Any tech worth his ASE cert.s will know to remove the excess before pushing the pistons back into the calipers when changing the pads if it is going to overlflow.

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

Very true.

However, my wife got pissed when I used her turkey baster to suck out the excess fluid, although I now have a dedicated tool for the purpose ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

What Ray said. The switches can be faulty, but my guess is that the fluid level is low. I'd give those swiches several more years before they were suspect, and of the two, the switch on the parking brake will go first.

Reply to
J Strickland

Well duh! You now have a dedicated turkey baster. ;-)

Reply to
J Strickland