Brake Pulsing Follow-Up

2000 Avalon OK, I posted awhile ago about my front brake pulsing issue. I mentioned that I had had a brake job done, that the brakes worked fine afterward and that this pulsing issue just surfaced (pun intended) recently. Anyhow, I finally dug up the paperwork from the brake job. They did, indeed, "resurface" the front rotors and they replaced the front pads with "front ceramic brake pads." I have about 5,000 miles on these pads and the pulsing became noticeable within the last 1,000 or so miles. I recall the advice I got here indicated that Toyota rotors should be replaced rather than resurfaced. My question is: Should I just go ahead and buy a couple of rotors and put them on or would it also be necessary to replace my almost new ceramic pads as well? Thanks. jor
Reply to
jor

If the pads aren't scored (and they shouldn't be since the rotors were turned) reuse them. They should all be the same thickness. Be sure to lube the pad holding pins and properly torqu the wheels on when done. Gas stations and tire places often use the air gun to mount wheels and warp the the rotors. Avoid the cheap aftermarket rotors from India and China. Buy a name brand or OEM.

Reply to
Wolfgang

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If you were satisfied with the job on your brakes and only have put 500 miles on since, I'd take it back to the shop and complain about the pulsing. Perhaps they charged you to shave the rotors but did not. ?

Reply to
mack

Yea, I know. I'm thinking about taking it back but I just don't really feel like hassling over it. It seems that I am constantly battling it out with someone over something! Anyhow, as I understand it, when these rotors shouldn't be resurfaced in the first place so if the guy wants to resurface them, I'll be back in the same boat. It's a reputable place (sort of) but I guess I should have just gone to the dealer. Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

I had had a brake job done, that the brakes worked

recently. Anyhow, I finally dug up the paperwork from the

the front pads with "front ceramic brake pads." I

the last 1,000 or so miles. I recall the advice I

resurfaced. My question is: Should I just go ahead and buy

my almost new ceramic pads as well? Thanks.

Its a matched thing. That's why rotor's are trued to mate with the new pads and why new Toyota brake shoes need to be machined to match the size of a used brake drum's larger diameter.

But in the real world its a cost and how long they last kind of thing.

You did not mention anything about checking the problem, or finding a bad rotor? If anything that paperwork indicates the rotors are less likely to be the cause of the problem.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

There are 2 factors that could have caused the pulsation to return if the same pads and rotors that were worked on before are the cause of the pulsation. The ceramic pads are definitely not OEM and may be too hard for the factory rotors, and as I mentioned before, machined rotors often cause pulsation soon afterwards.

It is possible that re-machining to rotors may fix the problem, but if you want the problem to go away permanently without further experimentation, go with factory pads and rotors.

Reply to
Ray O

Got it! Gracias. jor

Reply to