Brand and/or vendor recommended for Toyota fan clutch

Given the descriptions I've seen here of how a fan clutch is supposed to behave, I suspect the lifetime warranty unit I got from Autozone and its replacement aren't doing it. Who do you recommend buying from to get one thats definitely good? Either online or over the counter - I'm in Central Florida.

What's the quality likely to be on one gotten from Toyota?

Reply to
HiC

I don't know of any aftermarket fan clutch vendors, the one from Toyota should work fine.

Reply to
Ray O

I had a 6MGE in a Cressida that did the fan clutch. The Toyota dealer suggested that i not buy a new one as its usually the fluid in them that dies. I bought 2 tubes of it from them and reco'd it myself. It cost me about $30 and 2 hours of my time. Only problem was that i put to much in and it was a bit tight. damn thing sounded like a 747 at takeoff. Never had any heating problems though.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

747's have jet engines. I likened mine to a B-17 (ever heard one take off? Sounds like a 7M-GE with a stiff fan clutch! ;)

I tried the rebuild...it tried my patience...I bought the AutoZone clutch!

Reply to
Hachiroku

To see if your fan clutch is working correctly just listen for or observe that the following is true.

When first starting the car in the morning the fan should pull a lot of air (sounds like a plane) for a short time only. Then the clutch (fluid coupling) should let the fan slip and get real quiet at any RPM.

After driving some distance in warm weather the fan should pull a lot of air at idle.

It would be the correct part and not just a close enough part.

LOL... I hear that. And it probably cut you gas miliage in half, or worse!

Toyota's price was so high I had to shake my head and go to AutoZone to replace mine for both the truck and the Supra. Both have worked fine for a couple years now.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

OMG I couldn't imagine it! I was getting about 22, now about 18...

HiC didn't list a price. I went to AZ's website and found one for $39!!! Mine was $82!!!

If he got the $39, it may explain why he's having troubles...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I never heard a b17, but it was a noisy thing. i never noticed a change in my fuel economy, but then I was running a 6M-GE with a 5M-GE computer.

Reply to
Nick Bourne