Buying a new Scion tC

What's the difference between the 2005 and 2006 besides a couple of hundred dollars? Anyone has the one with the factory turbo for 40 additional hp? What's the additional maintenance with the factory turbo? It's for my son who had his Acura Integra GSR stolen in San Diego. He wants the factory sub woofer and alarm I want him to have the side airbag option - car so reasonably priced I think he could have it all. I wish it has a 6 gearbox because the existing 5th gear revs too fast (3k-4k rpm if I'm not mistaken) at highway speed otherwise the gas mileage would been better. Anyone has one and/or wish to comment? Thanks

ps He would consider another Acura, perhaps a RSX type S, but we had problems with the local dealer to fix both of our Acuras under warranty. Had to go out of town to have another Acura dealer fix it under warranty - don't need to go through this again. Plus the Scion turbo option should get the tC almost on par with the RSX type S and still money ahead, no?

Reply to
Fred

Jeff Bertrand

My mistake, you're right. Wonder why super charger and not turbo on a modern car?

Reply to
Fred

Much easier to install (we're talking average dealerships here) and, AFAIK, it doesn't include an intercooler (not cool - pun intended). You should keep in mind that no matter what the dealer does to it, it won't be close to an RSX type S. Maybe that's a good thing for sons.

Reply to
FanJet

You need to use proper oil, let the turbo cool down when necessary and those sorts of things. I'd imagine the extra 40 hp make the car quite sport.

I'd be surprised if the car revved that high at highway speed unless your idea of highway speed is substantially over 65.

I think the gas mileage issue is due to the heavy car and large Camry engine.

Reply to
JeB

(ignoring the fact that the OP needs to breathe and run-on a bit less) On this point, 6 is too much. The problem with 6 speeds is that they need to reach over 100mph to get normal power out of the engine.

3-4K is exactly where it should be running while accelerating, btw.
Reply to
Joseph Oberlander