Buying a Scion at less than MSRP: has anyone done it?

I have a simple question that I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere.

Has anyone personally been able to buy a new Scion at less than sticker price? If so, what was the price you paid, what were the circumstances, and where did you buy your car?

It seems dealerships are really sticking to their "no haggling" policy, even though it's clear they have the power to set their own prices (as explained at

Still, I'mlooking to see if there's any room for negotiation at all, or if I'mstuck with the price on the window. Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Alon Gotesman

There is always room for negotiation, doesn't matter what the dealer says. I'm not purposely trying to spam my site, but read this thread on my board that a Car Salesman wrote....it's a great read:

Good luck and let us know if you are able to talk them down :)

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

Discounts on Scions are tough. Well equipped low end cars have small margins and sell well. If you have 20 Toyota dealers within 20 miles as I do, your odds are better. Not good, mind you, just better. I could have saved a few hundred, but ended up buying from the dealer up the street. Paid msrp plus $150 for the factory alarm/keyless entry. I was not realy to drive about and dicker for a day just to save $300.

Reply to
Alex

When I almost bought an Xb, I was offered $500 for my 1993 Paseo in trade. When I decided the Xb wouldn't do much the Paseo wouldn't and walked toward the door, the Paseo was suddenly worth $1000. $2000 was mentioned but probably just to guage whether I was actually walking out or just dickering by body language. Dealer installed accessories or services can also be negotiation points.

Pat

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

I've never bought a car a couple of hundred dollars over the invoice. I just walk if they won't sell me at that price. But I was flexible at what to get: A car on the lot, and pay cash. If you need a special order and/or finance, then you'll have much less leverage.

Reply to
ZR

Dealers must love the car buying public...a lot of us have this attitude and that equates to an income of over 100k a year!...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The salesman's post was inaccurate in that he said your credit score drops every time another dealership runs it. It is considered one hit for all similar inquiries within a 30 day period for the same type of loan.

I will also add dealers attitudes vary by region. I believe here in S. Fla they take more risks and are more scandalous than they are in my small home town in Pa where the transient nature is much more scarce.

One Toyota dealership here was recently sued for going to town on a little old ladies bank account. I expect that from chrystler or ford but not from a toyota dealer.

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Discounts on Scions are tough. Well equipped low end cars have small margins and sell well. If you have 20 Toyota dealers within 20 miles as I do.... (snip)

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Don't know much about car dealerships eh?

Reply to
FanJet