Buying and Storing Tires?

I have a 2003 Avalon with close to 31,000 miles on it. There is still good tread on the original tires, but they are aging, and will eventually have to be replaced.

I found some Tires online that I like, for price, and the noise rating.

What do you think of buying, and storing the tires, for maybe 2-3 years? I'm concerned that 2 years from now, this particular model may not be made anymore.

I guess one question is, do tires "age" much even when off the car?

thanks marc

Reply to
marc

Rubber (including synthetics) age, some call it dry rot.

Some inspection processes including state inspection will not pass a vehicle with tries over a certain age.

2-3 years down the road it too far to be safe in my book especially since you don't know the current date of manufacture.
Reply to
NotMe

They should be replaced NOW. The tires are 8 years old, and the rubber has degraded so far as to be dangerous.

"It's not the miles, honey, it's the years."

Bad Idea, just like all of these:

2 years from now, those tires will be 2 years closer to their realistic 5 year life span.

Are you afraid that they won't make tires for your car anymore? Or that tire models will get WORSE?

The rubber ages independent of whether the tire is turning and being rubbed on the road, wearing the tread down. Traction is a function of the rubber itself; you're currently driving on the equivalent of Fred Flintstone's stone rolling pins.

Never mind yourself; do you carry passengers? Children/grandchildren?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Name one.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Here is a link to storing your tires properly

If your tires are stored properly they will last for over five years, however they will be prone to failure because the rubber itself ages. Tires stored properly that are over five years can be safely used for short trips, modest speeds and no loading.

Reply to
GM homepc

thanks for the feedback all

I found this information online:

Replace the tires at least every 6 years. If you're not sure, the minimum r= eplacement time that is recommended by the NHTSA is six years regardless of= use, with 10 years being the maximum service life for tires. Check your ow= ner's manual for specific recommendations related to your car. And always e= rr on the side of caution if you suspect your vehicle has tires that are ov= er six years of age.

My tires are now about 10 years old, the maximum. They look good, and I'm pretty easy on them, but I'll go ahead and start shopping for new ones.

marc

Reply to
marc

Quit fooling yourself into making excuses for going against the simple laws of physics. Rubber ages but you can't see the effects with your eyes.

Same thing goes with the timing belts on cars. "But it looks OK!" is the mantra for people desperate for an excuse NOT to want to spend money on the basic maintenance of the cars they bought.

If you can't afford to maintain it, then you can't afford to own it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"GM homepc"

Those were, at one time, referred to as May Pops.

Reply to
NotMe

may pop tomorrow? LOL

Reply to
GM homepc

May pop today, tomorrow but rarely very far down the road.

Reply to
NotMe

thanks all,

I found tires I like.

I notice alot of Off Topic [OT] posts.

Is there a way of Filtering them out?

marc

Reply to
marc

Good that you found your tires.

I have added filters to my Thunderbird email program to bypass the crap. It's too bad this has to happen.

Reply to
GM homepc

Just out of curiosity, what kind of rims are you using, the steel or the aluminum alloy ones?

I will be replacing my Corolla's original all season tires next year some time, and I want to refinish the steel rims before installing the new tires. A lot of posters in this group suggested to do it myself, but I'm all thumbs and I don't have a garage to work in. I will probably get a local body-shop to repaint my rims with something more substantial that what they had originally.

Are you planning to get yours refinished also?

Reply to
GM homepc

I think I have Aluminum Alloy. What the car came with. They still have a nice gloss.

marc

Reply to
marc

This is feedback I got from Michelin Tire Canada:

It is impossible to predict how long tires will last. Geographic conditions, environment, how often the vehicle is used, and tire maintenance are just a few variables that will affect the service life of a tire. It is recommended to have the tires inspected regularly by an authorized tire dealer for signs of cracking in the sidewall or the tread. Tires that are 5 years old or older should be inspected annually. Tires that have been in service for more than 10 years should be replaced. This would also include the spare.

Reply to
GM homepc

you mean, people who sell tires?

you mean, people who sell tires?

Always be aware of what you're doing...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I bought a set of Michelin XI2 tires in the fall of 08. A don't drive much at all, so I doubt if the tread will ever wear out. I clean and store the tires in my basement during the summer. After the above thread, I was just curious about what Michelin Canada would have to say about the longevity of their tires.

Reply to
homepc