Cam gear on '84 Corona - 2S engine

Hi all,

I recently sprung a bad water leak, from the water pump i think, but didn't catch it in time while coming home up the mountain, and she got very hot and I'm told I've blown the head gasket.

I was also told how much it would cost for the mechanic to do it so I thought I'd have a crack at it myself. Got myself a gasket kit and started dissambling today.

Didn't get too far though. Everything was going fine until I got to trying to take the cam gear off the cam shaft.

It is on TIGHT!! It broke my small ratchet, and just does seem to want to give.

It doesn't mention anything special in the workshop manual, so I thought I'd check here to see if there are any tricks I should be aware of. The thread on the cam shaft isn't left handed is it?

What the manual does say is to "Place a lock bar through the camshaft gear, loosen then remove the retaining bolt and remove the camshaft gear"

Regarding the lock bar, Is a screw driver ok for this job? Is there a suggested position for this?

Thats my two main questions for now, what can suffice as a lock bar, and what is the trick for getting the cam gear off. If it is just stuck, is it safe to use WD40 on this?

thanks for any help, Adam

Reply to
cousn

I'm not positive, but I doubt it.

It depends on whether the screwdriver's shank is strong enough to resist the force of the wrench.

Rather than WD-40, try penetrating oil.

Reply to
Ray O

SNIP

Thanks for your help Ray. I got myself some penetrating oil and a good quality ring spanner. Gave a small squirt of penetrating oil, used a socket as a lock bar then put on the ring spanner and gave a few sharp blows with a hammer, and off she came.

Cheers, Adam

Reply to
cousn

The proper tools for the job certainly makes things go more easily!

Good luck with the project!

Reply to
Ray O