Camry AM2 Fuse blew due to bad capacitor in distributor

Hi guys,

I'm the guy that was asking aobut the timing belt...

95 Camy 105,000mi 4 cyl

The car is fixed !!!!.

The distributor did turn, the timing belt was good!!!

I had no spark, no check engine light.

The AM2 fuse was blown, I replaced it, it blew immediatly on ignition on.

I Googled around and found the most likely cause for an AM2 fuse to blow is a shorted suppression capacitor on the feed to the coil inside the distributor.

I removed the 2 pin connector to the distributor that feeds the coil, put in a new fuse, fuse did not blow.

Used an Ohm meter and verifed that there was a short to ground in the distributor. Removed distributor clipped the wire to the capacitor and verifed the capacitor was shorted. I installed a new 0.1uF 200V capacitor from the coil + to gound, put it all back together and everything is fine.

My thanks to all who helped!!!!!!

Much thanks for the links to the on-line manuals, I had the condenesd manual but the online manuals have more detail ...thank you!!!!

And it would have taken me a longer time to narrow the short down to the cap (I was ready to chase after the injectors...) except for the fact that the distributor suppression capacitor was all over Google as the cause for an AM2 fuse to blow...so I appreciate it when people post their experiences which is why I am adding my expeirence to the pile...

thanks again!

Mark

Reply to
Mark