Camry Hybrid prices

Hello all,

I am very interested in buying a new (2008 or 2009) Camry Hybrid. Unfortunately, due to rising gas prices, it seems that everyone else is getting the same idea. I am curious, given the apparent recent spike in demand for these, what kind of deal those of you who have purchased one recently managed to get. Specifically, given the MSRP for your car, how much did you manage to get your dealer to come down from MSRP? I am in Arkansas and I suppose the market may be somewhat different for my area than in other parts of the country, but I am trying to get a feel for what kind of bargaining range I might expect when negotiating. I've gotten the Consumer Reports lowdown on the invoice pricing on these (which I am surprised differs very little if at all from the free reports available at

The CR report recommends starting bargaining around 4-8% over invoice but I'm afraid with demand for these I may not have much luck with that. Any helpful tidbits (or personal experiences gathered in the past few months) regarding buying one of these beasts is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I would start by comparing the "total drive home price" of a similarly equipped 4cy Camry and the hybrid. I believe you will discover the difference in the drive home price will be enough to buy ALL of the gas to run the 4cy Camry for around four years!!

Reply to
Mike hunt

The total drive home price difference will almost certainly be higher than the retail price difference, because of the increased demand for small cars.

However, based on what you have written here, what you believe is worthless.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If it's only four years to hit that break-even point, that's great news to me. Actually I suspect the payoff will take five to six years but I generally have kept cars for ten years or more. Add to all of this the bonus of lower emissions and it makes the hybrid a very attractive option. At this point I'm more concerned about what that 'drive home price' might be.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Duh, confused again we see. Neither is a small car, both the conventionally power Camry and the hybrid Camry are mid-sized cars. One has a rebate, the other does not. Guess which one is not being discounted?

However, based on what you have written here, what you believe is worthless. LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

I know you are. But, as you get older, that happens.

I was using the adjective "small" in the common sense, not with the strict EPA definition.

Sorry that you are confused again by the English language.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Since the difference in the "total drive home price" of a similarly equipped

4cy Camry and a hybrid Camry is well over $4,000 what I said was: "I believe you will discover the difference in the "total drive home price" will be enough to BUY ALL OF THE GAS to run the 4cy Camry for around four years."

I made no reference to the difference in the fuel economy between the two. If one looks at the difference, you are correct, it will take longer to make up the acquisition cost difference, in fuel mileage. Particularly is one is financing the extra cost. Even that however is problematic since the hybrid will need $5,000 worth the batteries at some point in the future. Another problem for hybrid owners is the $15 difference in the shop rate price charged by some Toyota dealerships

.
Reply to
Mike hunt

The greenie LIEbrawl DEMONrats here are blinded by NEW technology, no matter how expensive, unproven or impractical it is.

Reply to
Sharx35

The technology is like computers, about 2 years. The hybrid will be hard to resell in a couple years, that means low resale value. Sorry folks it's a throw away.

I wouldn't buy a used hybrid, would you?

Reply to
dbu

So far, the opposite is true. If you don't believe me, look up the prices for used Priuses - even '04's (which sold for ~$20K when new). Minimal depreciation.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'm happy for them. They have yet to replace the batteries? That is if they are still available.

Reply to
dbu

You're already groping/floundering for some sort of rebuttal; it's not working.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Cathy is right. The hybrid resale is faring much better than the gas-only cars of similar value by a considerable amount according to Kelly Blue Book. If gas prices continue to rise, it will only get better.

Battery is a non-issue as it is a free replacement on mine for 8 years. I won't own it by then (I never keep a car more than 8 years anyway) and have moved on to another new model so I won't care about the car then. Probably just trade it in.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

But what about the next person to own it. In my mind it's still a throw away. First owner fine, second owner, nope. Resale, zilch. What-ever.

Reply to
dbu

I'm not groping for anything. The fact is would I want to buy a used hybrid at this time or anytime in the near future, no. I'm not saying you should not buy a new one, but don't expect to get a real good trade-in for one down the line. The used markets fo hybrid are still not proven as are the gas Corollas for example. We shall see as time goes on. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

Reply to
dbu

You are so full of hot air...or other stuff. Check out a representative sampling of used Corollas and used hybrids in your area or anywhere else lately? No, I didn't think so. You're flat out wrong. Not that I really care because I don't care for the looks of the Prius, and that's why I wouldn't buy one. YMMV.

Reply to
mack

God, I can't believe how you libs live for the moment. What is the price of your used prius going to be in a year from now or two years, three years. Would I buy a used one after three or even two years, hell no.

Reply to
dbu

Reality check, dbu. Go back to my other post: an '04 Prius, whose MSRP was about $20K, now sells for only a few grand less. Depreciation is considerably less than for other cars.

Example from Edmonds:

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

That's only because there a LOT of braindead LIEbrawl DEMONrats around, with more money than brains.

Reply to
Sharx35

At $4000 more and at $3.50/gallon, that is 1,142 gallons of regular unleaded. 1,142 gallons will drive you for 34,285 miles @30MPG 4cyl Camry. You get lower emissions and some owners claim that their brake pads are going longer than expected. I dont know if other maintenance cost are the same or if the HSD is maintenance free.

Hehehe, With all this mumbo-jumbo, I'd bet you're already having second thoughts on your Camry Hybrid. I dont own a Hybrid but have a

4cyl camry with 25,000 miles on it, after my last oil change and air filter replacement, my tank of gas (17gallons) reached 500 miles with 75% highway, if you call the heavy traffic in the NJ garden state parkway highway driving. Anyway, when I getup to speed, I go about 5-10 mph above the speed limit. And I do a little of 75-80 mph as required (when I'm late, I'm not late everyday you know). Prior to my oil change I was a little higher than 470 miles. I know I shouldn't be emptying my tank as this is harmful for the pump, but at these times of high gas prices :( its just worth it. Sound silly but I'm not afraid that I'd run out of gas, after 25000 miles I know my car so much, I know when to stop at my favorite gas station.The Camry Hybrid to me is a fine car and maybe better than the 4cyl. I'd buy one if I could afford it. A hybrid would work for me since my highway driving is most often stop and go. I hope somebody will post here on how to take care of a hybrid battery, does it matter if you park the car in extreme weather conditions or to use a garage? avoiding very short trips where you think the battery will do all the power? I recall somebody posted that you could rework a toyota hybrid battery since they are just regular rechargeable batteries when opened up, and you only need a simple soldering skills. Because Im sure its going to void the warranty.
Reply to
EdV