Camry Hybrid's price cut

Camry Hybrid's price cut Mark Rechtin Automotive News July 20, 2007 - 5:02 pm

LOS ANGELES - For the 2008 model year, Toyota has cut the price of its Camry Hybrid by $1,000, or 3.8 percent, to $25,860, including destination charges.

To hit the new price, Toyota cut back on some standard features. The 2007 model featured alloy wheels, JBL audio system, leather steering wheel and shift knob, and electrochromic mirror with compass and Homelink. For 2008, content has been dialed back to steel wheels, single-disc CD player, urethane shift knob and steering wheel, and manual day/night mirror.

On the standard Camry, Toyota has raised the price by $100 across all model grades, starting at $19,230, including destination. There are no content changes in the Camry lineup.

Reply to
C. E. White

In 2008 the new US EPA mileage estimates will be used. I wonder how much the hybrid mileages will drop using the new EPA methods.

Better start cutting the prices now ;)

Reply to
johngdole

Keep in mind that the EPA mileage estimates for conventionally powered vehicles will probably drop as well, so the question is whether a hybrid vehicle will maintain its relative fuel efficiency advantage.

Reply to
Ray O

US EPA mileage estimates will be used. I wonder how

Toyota Camry Hybrid:

EPA MPG: 40 city, 38 highway, 39 combinedNew EPA MPG: 33 city, 34 highway, 34 combinedcombined drop of 13% Toyota Camry 6cyl Auto:
EPA MPG: 22 city, 31 highway, 25 combinedNew EPA MPG: 19 city, 28 highway, 23 combinedcombined drop of 8%

Toyota Camry 4cyl Auto:

EPA MPG: 24 city, 33 highway, 27 combinedNew EPA MPG: 21 city, 30 highway, 24 combinedcombined drop of 11% More info:

mrv

In real life our Honda Hybrid with almost nothing but stop and go driving to work gets over 27 mpg. They are being discontiued due to lack of interest in a V6 hybrid with great performance and good but not great mileage for a hybrid.

Old EPA MPG: 40 city, 38 highway, 39 combined> New EPA MPG: 33 city, 34 highway, 34 combined> combined drop of 13%>

Old EPA MPG: 22 city, 31 highway, 25 combined> New EPA MPG: 19 city, 28 highway, 23 combined> combined drop of 8%>

Old EPA MPG: 24 city, 33 highway, 27 combined> New EPA MPG: 21 city, 30 highway, 24 combined> combined drop of 11%>

Reply to
Art

Old EPA MPG: 40 city, 38 highway, 39 combined> New EPA MPG: 33 city, 34 highway, 34 combined> combined drop of 13%>

Old EPA MPG: 22 city, 31 highway, 25 combined> New EPA MPG: 19 city, 28 highway, 23 combined> combined drop of 8%>

Old EPA MPG: 24 city, 33 highway, 27 combined> New EPA MPG: 21 city, 30 highway, 24 combined> combined drop of 11%>

The differences in the drop in fuel economy estimates would be an indicator of the accuracy of the estimates, assuming that the new estimates are more accurate than the previous ones.

My assertion is that consumers concerned about fuel economy would look at the relative fuel efficiency advantage of the hybrid over a 4 or 6 cylinder, not how much of a correction had to be made to the estimates.

Using the old method, the advantage of the hybrid over the 6 cylinder were: City: 81.8% Hwy: 22.6% Combined: 56%

Old method advantage of hybrid over 4 cylinder: City: 66.7% Hwy: 15.1% Combined: 44.4%

Using the new method, the advantage of the hybrid over the 6 cyl: City: 73.7% Hwy: 21.4% Combined: 47.8%

New method advantage of hybrid over 4 cyl: City: 57.1% Hwy: 13.3% Combined: 41.7%

To answer my own question, using the new EPA methods, the relative advantage in fuel economy using the new EPA methods went down. Consumers who are interested purely in fuel economy can decide whether the advantage is enough to merit paying the hybrid premium.

Reply to
Ray O

In message news:1Dboi.10410$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net, C. E. White sprach forth the following:

Al Gore can now afford more weed!

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

For me, the hybrid is not of advanced technology yet, for one thing the batteries remain to be NiMH, which is bigger and stores less energy than a Li-ion. Simply compare a mobile phone using Li-ion and NiMH. I've heard of some patent issues but have not read them thoroughly and can't comment why NiMH is still used.

About the original post, its not really a price cut if they took away some options. Technically, its called a downgrade = )

Reply to
EdV

Not really. If the manufacturer takes away some standard options and maintains the price, it is a price increase.

A downgrade is when a manufacturer deletes standard options, but maintain the price, just as an upgrade is when they add options but maintain the price. At the end of a model year manufacturer generally add options but maintain the price, then eventually add rebates to move current model year stock.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That's because you're so busy whining about the specific type of battery they use, you haven't bothered to look at the whole SYSTEM.

When you look at the system, you'll realize that it's amazingly advanced thinking and technology, along with some old technology that's simply been re-thought.

If you doubt me, look up the Toyota PSD.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The hybrid concept is not bad, but it can still be better. I'm referring to the current toyota hybrids, prius, camry, highlander. There are companies out there who are improving the Toyota Prius to make them more fuel efficient. if you doubt me, go to

are getting more MPG with the modified hybrids,and they areencouraging car manufacturers to make it as an option for theirlineup. Non profit organizations are showing car manufacturers it canbe done and people would be willing to buy with a higher price. Let'swait a few more years, I'm hoping the prices will drop even more sothey just cost as a regular car and every car on the road will begetting high mpg and less CO2.

Reply to
EdV

So what's new here? 3rd parties and companies have been doing this for decades, with gas powered car's, both foreign and domestic. Car companies have incorporated many of these improvements/modifications. You would probably be amazed at how many improvements/modifications came from race tracks across the country, oval, road circuit and drag.

Reply to
Steve Hiner