Camry Tranny Dead, Help!

I was driving my 92 camry le(205K miles) down the highway at about 65 mph and all of a sudden there is no power from the engine to the transmission. I pull over and have the car towed home. The only thing that I can think to check is the cable from the gearshift to the tranny, but that looks ok. It's like the car is stuck in neutral. Before this happened, the car was working fine. Any suggestions??

Reply to
txrdbiker

What is the condition of the transmission fluid?

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
txrdbiker

I had a similar thing happen on a 92. The inside of the transission was a pile of aluminum shavings. Had to replace the transmission. And that is not cheap. Hope this is not your problem.

Reply to
Tom in Macon

If the fluid is bright red and clear of metal particles, then the problem may be relatively minor. By any chance, was the "OD Off" light flashing?

On the other hand, if the fluid is brown or black, major repairs or replacement may be necessary.

The proper diagnosis requires transmission pressure gauges.

Reply to
Ray O

And, if you have an '88 Supra that has BOTH conditions?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Cut a hole in the floor directly in front of the driver's seat for supplemental propulsion?

Reply to
Ray O

supplemental propulsion?

hahahahaha and braking if you have asbestos show soles...

Reply to
Danny G.