Camry vs Accord

Not sure what you're saying here, but there is still a huge advantage to be able to use the carpool lane. The carpool lanes are becoming slightly more crowded, but they are restricting the number of permits. If carpool lanes get too crowded then they will cancel the hybrid program.

It's rather ironic that the place where hybrids have no advantage over regular vehicles--freeway driving, is where they get the extra privilege.

Reply to
SMS

Actual numbers:

Prius Camry Accord

0-60 10.6 9.6 9.0 seconds wheelbase 106" 109" 108" IIHS offset good good good frontal crash

Delving into the safety issue, in Consumer Reports the Camry and Accord are rated all-red for Gov't head-on crash test, whereas Prius is half-red. The Accord is half-red for side impact, while Prius and Camry are all-red. All three cars are relatively safe.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

They have very small trunks; that is an issue with many of us. They have unproven weird electronics and mechanics. The average mechanic cannot work on most of the vehicle and Toyota usually charges too much money, not to mention the service is crappy.

Reply to
badgolferman

You may be right. After read> There is _one_ reason to buy a hybrid at this time. It's to be able to

There is also a $1600 federal tax writeoff. Two reasons!

There is a potential state tax writeoff. Three reasons!

At $2.50/gal, gas savings (12,000 mi) is about $1200. Four reasons!

Some cities (San Jose CA) offer free parking at meters. Five reasons!

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

IMO, they are plenty big inside. If you want a HUGE trunk, yes, go for another car. If you want enough room to fit a floor lamp or a Xmas tree, open the hatch, flip down a rear seat or two, & you're set. Not to mention the leg room in the back seat - it's incredible. I sat in the back seat, with the driver's seat all of the way back, & my knees didn't even *begin* to touch the back of the driver's seat; 2 -3" of leftover room. (I drive w/the driver's seat all of the way back, or *sometimes* one notch up - long legs.) In the driver's & front seat passenger's positions, also plenty of room, width-wise.

?? It was floated in Japan before being intro-ed here. And I haven't yet heard any horror stories about problems with them here.

The average mechanic

Take it to Toyota then. Their mechanics are qualified to work on it.

and Toyota usually charges too much

I always service my cars (since I've had Toyotas, that is) at my dealership. Obviously I have had different (better) experiences than you have had w/the service dep't.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Hoping you drive them both and make your own decision on what one you prefer.

Reply to
dizzy

How about test driving both? I own an '05 Accord but don't care for the butt ugly rear end. However I liked the road feel of the Honda along with the manual trannies of the Hondas. The Camry is an excellent car too but didn't seem as "fun" to drive. Both excellent cars, more of a personal preference.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

I'm waiting for the next technology. Hybrids are only a stepping stone to the next level. I think the battery will be gone with the higher level technology which may be a few years away yet, but I don't need a new vehicle so I can wait.

Reply to
dbu,

Prius are for LIEbrawl geeks.

Reply to
sharx35

Why do you say they have no fuel efficiency advantage when driven at highway speeds? How fast do you drive your Prius and what are you getting for MPG? mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

Space in the trunk, including space for a full sized spare.

The Prius cost more and we'll see on maintenance. The battery replacement will be a Prius killer.

Reply to
Some O

I'll bet less than 15% at 10 years. As the battery loses charge capability the hybrid effectiveness will decrease.

Reply to
Some O

The Corolla is very spacious and a very good price. Here (Vancouver, BC) they are taking over the taxi car market. It does need a bit more spice in it's body design.

Reply to
Some O

Toyota's are reliable, but the hybrid battery life is due to other than Toyota's quality-- the fact that rechargeable batteries lose capacity over time.

Reply to
Some O

I suggest you see the Ford Fusion before you make your decision.

Reply to
Some O

True.

True. Gasoline engines are being improved significantly and the new diesels from Mercedes obsolete the hybrids.

Reply to
Some O

Oh, good. I guess we'll be seeing even more warmer winter days here in New England for years to come.

Reply to
mark digital©

Toyota doesn't make the batteries. As a matter of fact, the unexpected demand for the Prius early on took everyone by surprise and Matshusita capacity to supply them was stretched to the limit. If the recharging circuitry was as dumb as what we use for household type stuff like cordless drills and flashlights, yes, we'd have something to worry about. If you want to keep going beyond 200,000 miles and you replace the battery because it bothers you it lost 10% of it's capacity, god bless you. mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

Can't go wrong with either.

If you like the driving experience, get the Honda. If you want a Japanese Buick, get the Toyota.

Frankly, it mostly depends upon the dealership itself. Go with the best dealership in your area, and get whichever brand they sell.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Huh. True, AFAIK, thAt ythey get better ,mileage in city driving, since the electric motir is used more & the gas engine less. However, I know somewone w/a Prius & they got 55 mpg while driving on the NYS Thruway. I'd say that is a definite advantage. Even if they got (only) 45 - 50, it'd be an advantage.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.