Camry vs Accord ?

It seems to me like these two companies make the best cars. I'm retired and need to get a good four door and my main concerns are reliabliity, low cost maintenance and initial cost. I would consider a year or two year old also. I hear of Honda Civics going to 300,000 miles with few problems. Which is better, the Accord or the Camry or did I miss one?

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

I think the decision of Camry or Accord really boils down to preference. My experience is that the seating position is somewhat different, and the arrangement of the knobs and switches are also different. I think that all of the vehicle systems work reasonably the same and share the same reliability traits. I think the bottom line works out to how you like the seating position and the arrangement of the knobs and switches. I think you should compare similar models, both top of the line or both mid line, and with the same engine - both 4 or both 6 cylinder. Frankly, there was a time when the Camry top of the line model was in my opinion a better car than the Accord, but I think the distinctions that made the Camry better have been incorporated into the Accord.

After all of that, it's your preference for style and comfort that will drive the bus on this decision.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Good analysis and good advice.

I drove both the Accord and Camry (both in V6 / automatic trim) this weekend.

My sense is that the Accord (EX) has a tighter suspension, a smaller-feeling cockpit, a larger rear blindspot, and a higher-quality fit and finish. The Camry (XLE) has a softer ride, is quieter, and smoother shifting. Personally, I'd prefer the Camry for an occasional use road car (i.e. as used by a retiree).

I agree with Jeff that you should drive both and decide for yourself.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Both are fine, though they aren't the best as far as initial cost(pricey to buy). My approach is to find a 3-4 year old certified model so that the OTHER person ate all of the main depreciation and then put a chunk in savings for repairs.

This unfortunately, means that most Toyotas and Hondas aren't very good deals used, since they hold onto thier value too well. The ultimate used car would be something underrated(or dragged down by one other model that has major problems) and that depreciates fast, so that you can get a four year old car for half what the new one cost.

Toyota makes one such gem - or rather, it is a Toyota with a Pontiac label on it - the Vibe. Consider - two perfectly good cars with only a little sheetmetal difference. A 2002 Vibe sells for ~$8000. The Toyota is $10,000. That sheetmetal suddenly looks like less of a concern to me...

Both are based off of a stretched Corolla platform and are every bit as useable as an Accord or Camry, though they are more Civic/Corolla sized. IME, the flat minvan/truck interior makes up for that. It folds truly flat and has the equivalent to a truckbed liner on the surfaces, plus tiedown points. Cargo capacity is amazing for its size.

Retired people are like college students in that they have enough free time on their hands and a lot of irons in the pot as it were, so they are always needing to move or carry things around - be it the dog to the groomers, or a new TV set, or clothes to donate, or plants you got from the nursery, or... I really suggest something like this instead of a typical sedan.

The Matrix looks a bit better, IMO, though, but the Vibe has a taller rear end which allows for a slightly bigger rear opening for cargo. The Vibe also can be had with a roof rack as standard equipment. The Higher HP engine model, though, can be had with automatic on the Toyota, IIRC. The Vibe's high HP version is a 6-speed. Of course, I hate automatics, so either one is fine for me ;)

I'm planning to buy one or the other in any case, in three or four months. The 2002s are still too new, but when the 2006s come out, their price drops a couple of thousand and you can still get a typical bank loan on a certified model as it will be 4 years old. Waiting three months will save me $2,000 or allow me to get the higher HP engine model. Add in an extended factory warranty and presto - $8-10K and no problems for the life of the loan. That the car has 50K on it isn't a concern since the design is good for 200-300K.

That's probably the best way to obtain truly frugal transportation, especially if your income isn't as large as it once was.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

My experience mirrors yours. I think the Camry's transmission was smoother than the Accord's. I was in a carpool with a woman that had the Camry XLE, and another friend had an Accord with an automatic. These were early '90s cars, and I don't know if the same still holds true, but the Camry was a much more pleasant drive from the perspective of the transmission behavior.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Partially true.... it would be even more frugal to save up and buy the used car for cash.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I can't answer your question but let me give you another idea. Having an almost new Accord and Corolla now (bought both new) , all things considered, I'd probably go with the Corolla especially as a retiree. Ofcourse everyones taste / values are different but I'm just telling you mine. I think the corolla is comfortable enough for my tastes especially around town. Then again, it's not as peppy as the Camry or Accord but I don't need that. Obviously the Camry and Accord excel in most things over the Corolla but that includes costs to drive as well. In fact, I'll probably consider a new Corolla when I retire.

Probably tho, Honda and Toyota are wise choices and you probably won't make a mistake with either choice regardless of model.

Reply to
FG_2994

The first models of the Vibe and Matrix were 2003s.

The Vibe GT and Matrix XRS have the stronger power plants and are only available as 6 speed manuals.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

Well, Toyota has FINALLY gone back to timing chains; Honda still uses belts. The Honda has an interference engine; if the belt breaks, esp at speed or under load, it's time for a new engine. The Toyota is a non-interference engine; if you do get an older one with a belt, then you need to put a new belt on it. Also, the brakes on the Honda involve a couple more steps, which I'm sure is added into the labor figure. Other than that, either one is a good car. I've had both, and both went to

200,000 miles with no problems.
Reply to
hachiroku

Drive and price a Mercury Grand Marquis, I think you will be happier with one of those. Bigger, stronger, better ride, bigger trunk, tough as nails, lower insurance rate and a much safer vehicle. ;)

mike hunt

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

Are you sure you're in the right group?

Reply to
hachiroku

Actually, Honda has been making the shift toward chains as well. The iVTEC

4-cylinders in the Accord and CR-V are chain-driven.
Reply to
S.S.

If I was retired I would probably agree with you on this based purely on the safety, bigger, and better ride issue. I probably wouldn't care that much about the reliability since I would have the money to have it repaired.

My pastor got broadsided by a dump truck that ran a red light as he was making a turn at the intersection. The Crown Victoria was a complete mess and he ended up with a broken arm.

Reply to
badgolferman

This is a good thing!

My wife was anal abut maintenance on the Honda. Good thing. My Corolla GT-S (non-interference) goes 120,000 between breaking belts!

Reply to
hachiroku

That just doesn't look right.

Reply to
badgolferman

My Brother-in-Law has one with just under 500,000 miles on it (and that's Imperial miles too - not those wimpy little American miles!)... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

My bad - 2003, then.

Now, but the first two years you could get the XRS with automatic.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Sure enough. With the draw being the high rpm horsepower and being a slug at lower rpm, I'm not surprised the auto was dropped.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

God thin he was not drive a an Echo or a Corolla ;)

mike hunt

badgolferman wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

yer right!!! I spelled "about" wrong! LOL!!!

Reply to
hachiroku