Can I remove the plastic orange cover for the turn signal rear bulb?

I have a 2002 Camry and wish to put a chrome bulb in to replace the orange color in the taillight? The dealer says it's a one piece lens and can't be taken apart. I have seen this done already and wonder if anyone can tell me how. The bulb replacement is no problem, it's the orange plastic I can't seem to get to.

Thanks.

Reply to
enviroman

It looks like the tail lights for the 2002 Camry are a one-piece assembly that includes the lens, reflector, and sockets. This is true for most tail light applications.

You can get Altezza-style "Euro" tail lights from places like

Since these are aftermarket parts and not OEM, I have no idea whether their quality and function is good or not.

Reply to
Ray O

You now use a clear bulb. The so called "chrome" bulb without the amber cover in place, is far less effective as a signal bulb. I have replaced the amber bulbs (without amber covers) in two Chrysler products with clear coated bulbs that flash amber. It is clear to me that these products look cool but are just not as effective as the amber bulbs. Be that as it may, I think the regulatory trend is to mandate non-removable amber covers or amber segments in place of amber bulbs to prevent the switch to the wrong color bulb. (clear bulb or blue bulb in a clear turn segment). I guess you could knock off the amber plastic part from the bulb end and pull the piece or pieces out the hole.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I banged my 02 Highlander and chipped red part on rear lens - yep sold as whole assembly and 4 years ago was around $150!

Reply to
ron

I think you have to purchase and install a whole new tail lamp assembly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland