Can't shift

I have an '87 Toyota minivan. It's a 5-speed and I've never had a problem with the transmission or clutch - until yesterday.

When I backed out of the driveway, the clutch acted way different, I let it out at the usual speed but the car jumped backward and stalled. When I went to shift into 1st gear I couldn't do it, the knob just would not go there. I couldn't get it back into reverse either, there was a grinding sound. So I let the car roll back into the driveway and shut it off.

I can still shift into any of the gears when the car is turned off. What could be wrong?

Reply to
Pat

Sounds like the clutch is not engaging properly. I think you're going to have to have it towed someplace, perhaps the junk yard.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote

| Sounds like the clutch is not engaging properly. I think you're going to | have to have it towed someplace, perhaps the junk yard.

Hey, Jeff, thanks for the reply, but why the junkyard idea? The car runs fine otherwise and it's all I have. Clutches can be repaired, no? I don't know much about fixing cars but was hoping to find an idea here. I took a trip in it last week and had no problems whatsoever, got back Saturday night, didn't need to drive Sunday or Monday but yesterday morning this happened so unexpectedly.

Reply to
Pat

If the car's otherwise in good shape, have it fixed. I'd say "fix it", but for this sort of thing, I'm of the opinion that if you had to ask what was wrong, you're not qualified to fix it. Have it fixed. Get 2-3 estimates, one from the dealer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't know how many miles is on the vehicle (it's a truck, not a car).

Yes. But with such an old vehicle, the clutch may cost more to repair than the van is worth. Also, you didn't tell us what model or how many miles on it.

Some people here may have different ideas to offer in this newsgroup, but I think you will have to have it towed to a garage, then. I don't know how much the van is worth or what condition the body and other parts are in. This could be a repair that will let the van last several more repairs or be the first of many expensive repairs.

I think a good mechanic can tell you if it's worth getting killed. The other consideration is that a newer vehicle may be much safer (with airbags, better brakes, and other safety enhancements), more reliable and get better mileage than the old van.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Pat" wrote in news:rPudnWJk0fsnZtPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

A spring has popped out of the clutch friction disc and is jammed between the flywheel and friction disc. You need a new clutch.

Is the expense worth it? How much is your van worth to you?

Reply to
Tegger

I think you should tow it to my house! I will GLADLY take one of these off your hands! I've been wanting one since '85. It's a 5 speed, is it AWD, too?

And. after you tow it to my house, I'll take the $60 clutch slave cylinder I bought for my '85 Celica, slap it on there and be rolling again in about 1 hour.

That's sure what it sounds like. My Celica did the same thing, and I suspected the slave cylinder, but of course, I didn't have the thing in the car when the cylinder finally did let go. I had to buy another one.

The upside is, if I can find the thing, and if it fits, I'll sell it to you for $40.

Fill the master cylinder under..the..hood...ooops...I don't *know* where the MC is on this thing! But check the MC, fill it, and then with the engine off pump the clutch while someone else has a look under the van. Chances are it's pissing out of somewhere, perhaps the fluid line instead of the cylinder. Also, look at the top of the clutch pedal where it mates to the plunger from the MC and see if the carpet is soaked. A bad MC will do the same thing. I replaced both on the Celica.

MC:

slave cylinder is also listed.

Reply to
Hachiroku +O+A+m+/

I think it could also be a problem with the clutch cylinder or the other parts of the clutch, although I agree that chances are a new clutch is needed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff wrote in news:eiE3k.551$ul.25@trndny08:

Eh, you could be right. I forgot this car has hydraulic actuation.

To OP: Check fluid level in master cylinder. If OK, can you get car to go into gear if you rapidly pump pedal a few times, then hold it down and quickly put lever in gear?

Reply to
Tegger

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

| If the car's otherwise in good shape, have it fixed. I'd say "fix it", but | for this sort of thing, I'm of the opinion that if you had to ask what was | wrong, you're not qualified to fix it. Have it fixed. Get 2-3 estimates, one | from the dealer.

You're right, I could not fix this. There's no dealer close (nearest is about 55 miles) but lots of garages.

Reply to
Pat

"Jeff" wrote

| I don't know how many miles is on the vehicle (it's a truck, not a car).

A lot, but it's still young for a Toyota. It's been properly maintained throughout its life (I'm the original owner).

| > Clutches can be repaired, no? | | Yes. But with such an old vehicle, the clutch may cost more to repair | than the van is worth. Also, you didn't tell us what model or how many | miles on it.

The van is worth very little in the "blue book" but it's all I have and is irreplaceable (meaning, I can't afford to buy a car, even a cheap one).

Reply to
Pat

"Hachiroku ????" wrote

| I think you should tow it to my house! I will GLADLY take one of these | off your hands! I've been wanting one since '85. It's a 5 speed, is it | AWD, too?

Yes, it has 4WD and is a 5-speed. Where's your house and how much do you wanna pay for it? I would let it go for the right price. It needs a new side door unless you can live with stabilized rust on the bottom part of it.

| And. after you tow it to my house, I'll take the $60 clutch slave | cylinder I bought for my '85 Celica, slap it on there and be rolling | again in about 1 hour. | | That's sure what it sounds like. My Celica did the same thing, and I | suspected the slave cylinder, but of course, I didn't have the thing in | the car when the cylinder finally did let go. I had to buy another one. | | The upside is, if I can find the thing, and if it fits, I'll sell it to | you for $40. | | Fill the master cylinder under..the..hood...ooops...I don't *know* where | the MC is on this thing! But check the MC, fill it, and then with the | engine off pump the clutch while someone else has a look under the van. | Chances are it's pissing out of somewhere, perhaps the fluid line instead | of the cylinder. Also, look at the top of the clutch pedal where it mates | to the plunger from the MC and see if the carpet is soaked. A bad MC will | do the same thing. I replaced both on the Celica.

Thanks so much for your advice. If the slave will fit and is needed, and the shipping isn't too high, I'd sure buy it from you.

Reply to
Pat

"Jeff" wrote

| I think it could also be a problem with the clutch cylinder or the other | parts of the clutch, although I agree that chances are a new clutch is | needed.

If it does need a whole new clutch, how big a job is that?

Reply to
Pat

| >> A spring has popped out of the clutch friction disc and is jammed | >> between the flywheel and friction disc. You need a new clutch. | >>

| >> Is the expense worth it? How much is your van worth to you? | >

| > I think it could also be a problem with the clutch cylinder | | Eh, you could be right. I forgot this car has hydraulic actuation. | | To OP: Check fluid level in master cylinder. If OK, can you get car to go | into gear if you rapidly pump pedal a few times, then hold it down and | quickly put lever in gear?

Are you saying there is no popped spring?

I'll try checking the fluid etc. and report back - in a day or two (very busy ATM).

BTW this van is it for me, I can't even afford a newer used car just now. I'm barely feeding myself these days so I may have to go without a car for a while and save up, if this is going to cost a small fortune. The only other problem with this car is it may need a fuel pump soon. I replaced the water pump last summer.

Reply to
Pat

Ask everyone you know if they've got a mechanic they've been happy with for a number of years. Not Jiffy Lube or a tire chain store. Those aren't mechanics.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think you have to lift the whole engine, so it is a lot of labor. I don't know for this van, but, in general, I think it costs around $500 to $700 for a replacement.

If it's in the cylinder or other linkage, it may be significantly less, like $200.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

| > If it does need a whole new clutch, how big a job is that? | | I think you have to lift the whole engine, so it is a lot of labor. I | don't know for this van, but, in general, I think it costs around $500 | to $700 for a replacement. | | If it's in the cylinder or other linkage, it may be significantly less, | like $200.

I'm hoping all it needs is fluid topped off. Could it be that simple??? It's been a long, long while since I checked the fluid.....

Reply to
Pat

Go and check the fluid now.

It could be that simple, but one would expect gradually worsening symptoms, rather than a sudden failure.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote

| Go and check the fluid now.

I'll have to do it in the morning. I will report back then.

| It could be that simple, but one would expect gradually worsening | symptoms, rather than a sudden failure.

Maybe it had symptoms and I failed to notice.... I've been very pre-occupied lately. I thought the brakes seemed a bit soft, and if the clutch runs off the same fluid, couldn't the softness of the brakes have been a symptom?

Thanks so much for all your help :}

Reply to
Pat

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

| Sounds like the clutch fork broke.

Even though I don't have a clue what a clutch fork is, this sounds like a reasonable idea.

| If you select a gear, THEN start the motor while the clutch pedal is | depressed, does the van stay in one place, or does it move with the starter | motor?

It does not move until I let the clutch out. Not sure I understand the question... You can't start this vehicle without the clutch being depressed. The weird thing was when I started letting the clutch out to back up, it moved faster than usual. It's like the clutch takes much less effort than before.

Reply to
Pat