Can't shift

OK! This is actually pretty easy then. Bleed the clutch system according to the service manual and keep an eye on the tank.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Who told you that it was the fluid level? Well, not me. But this is great news! I am glad.

The moral of the story: Always check the simple things first, even if you think that they are not the problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote | Hachiroku ???? wrote: | > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:31:28 -0500, Pat wrote: | >

| >> The fluid is perfectly clear. I topped it off and then wale to shift | >> easily, but the clutch is still too soft. | >

| > OK! This is actually pretty easy then. Bleed the clutch system according | > to the service manual and keep an eye on the tank. | | Who told you that it was the fluid level? Well, not me. But this is | great news! I am glad. | | The moral of the story: Always check the simple things first, even if | you think that they are not the problem.

My original message said "... and then was able to shift..." Somehow when quoted it says "...and then wale to shift..."

Note that I qualified the statement with a comment about the clutch. So it may not be quite so simple. Unless "bleeding" the system will take care of that???

Reply to
Pat

Do one thing at a time. Try bleeding the system, and see what happens.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

| Didn't you describe a radical change to the operation of the pedal? If so, | the fluid is not the problem.

It got much softer to push in and the car moves sooner as you let off the clutch.

| The fluid could be a problem, that is clear. But if the clutch worked okay, | made a clunk, then stopped working okay, this would not be a symptom that | fluid will address. That is, you may fill the reservior and still find the | clutch works poorly.

I didn't hear any "clunk" sound. I would have noticed that.

Reply to
Pat

He ain't out of the woods yet. If the fluid level was low, then air may have gotten into the system. The trouble is, it seems on this vehicle this is also the brake reservoir.

So unless the clutch grabs the fluid at a higher level on the tank than the brake cylinder, there's something else going on. If the clutch does indeed grab fluid at a higher level, and the pedal is still mushy, the system will have to be bled. But I think he still needs to keep an eye on the level, and still have someone look underneath while pumping the pedal.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think you have to remove the instrument cluster cover to get at the clutch MC reservoir.

Reply to
Ray O

Does that mean that it has some age on it and has previously been opened? If so, you might ought to toss it and buy a new can. Once a can is opened, it is advisable to not keep it for more than a few weeks due to it possibly absorbing moisture. For that reason, if you are a casual user (topping off once in a blue moon), only buy small cans - don't try saving money by buying the "large economy size".

Bill Putney

"Bill Putney" wrote

| Pat wrote: | | > Haven't had time to find my bottle of brake fluid... | | Does that mean that it has some age on it and has previously been | opened? If so, you might ought to toss it and buy a new can. Once a | can is opened, it is advisable to not keep it for more than a few weeks | due to it possibly absorbing moisture. For that reason, if you are a | casual user (topping off once in a blue moon), only buy small cans - | don't try saving money by buying the "large economy size".

It was a small, unopened bottle.

Thanks, Bill, for your concern and advice.

Reply to
Pat

You're welcome.

Bill Putney