Can tight rear (drum) brakes cause noises when driving?

I was driving and all of a sudden I heard on the right rear side like a springing noise. I lifted my car up and when I tried to rotate the right rear wheel, it was on tight; still movable but need force to move them. My guess is the shoe and drum are touching so much that the shoe moves with the drum and when it cant go any further, the shoe springs back and making the springing noise. Is this even possible???

Also, when i adjusted my drum brakes, i made sure it was loose enough so it will not get tight and be difficult to remove the drum. Also the drum has a lot of meat on it. Lasted 6 months until it went tight. How does it go tight???

Weird part is the noise only comes when it wants to. When i brake, it would make the noise. After a few braking applications, the noise is gone.

Running out of ideas and it is not the wheel bearing because I shook the wheel at 12 and 6 o clock position and 3 and 9 o clock position and it does not move.

Reply to
msrdude

When drum brakes are properly adjusted, the wheel should rotate once when spun by hand. If it free-wheels, the brakes are too loose, and if it doesn't spin once, they are too tight. Of course, the left and right sides should spin equally.

As far as your theory about the shoe making the noise when it moves with the drum, a properly installed shoe would have less than 1/32" of freeplay, which would translate to almost no movement of the wheel. Are the brakes factory original or has someone worked on them?

Are the cable and arm going into the backing plate in good condition and move freely without too much slack? Is the wheel mounted and torqued properly?

Does your vehicle have 4 wheel disc brakes with the drum parking brake or just drum brakes in the rear? What year/model vehicle, mileage, service historym, etc.?

Reply to
Ray O