Can you damage the engine when the RAV4 engine light is on?

Hi - if my Rav4 (97 model) engine light comes on should I stop driving immediately or can I continue driving as it wont be anything major to cause the engine to blow up? The car seems to run fine (for it's age) but when the engine light came on I stopped, confirmed oil and water were good, then it hasn't come on since.

I just dont want to do any damage by driving it when the light is on. Especially dont want my wife to be driving and the brakes fail or something.

Luke

Reply to
bellamy_luke

AFAIK, when it is on steady you should have your vehicle evaluated at your earliest convenience, and it will be most likely emissions related. If it is flashing you should stop driving immediately to prevent engine damage. Ray O?

Reply to
Truckdude

If the light is the Malfunction Indicator Light, (MIL, commonly referred to as a check engine light), then Truckdude's advice is right on.

Many auto parts stores like Auto Zone will allow you to scan codes for free. Report back with the codes for advice on diagnosis and repair.

Reply to
Ray O