Car, take me to walmart

The auto industry has intensified its research on how to link cruise control, steering, brakes and the cameras and sensors used for collision-avoidance systems into an integrated system able to guide a car safely.

Mr. Austerity

IF YOU HAD A CAR TODAY that could take you to WalMart on command, is that really where you would tell it to go? Surely the systems that make this work TODAY are costly enough that you would be shopping WalMart with Mitt and Anne Romney, and Warren Buffet.

Having said that... I just saw a program today of a test drive with a Jaguar (I forget the model) that has hardware that effectively put the car on auto-pilot. The guy set the switches and dials, and the car maintained distance from the car in front, and managed to remain within its own lane without the driver touching the steering wheel.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Completely removing any anonymity that may have slipped by the oddly named 'US Patriot Act'

Reply to
homey

People of Walmart,

Mr. Austerity