CE, SE, LE, XLE

What do these appellatives stand for?

Reply to
Dean Jann

CE=cheap edition SE=special edition LE=luxury edition XLE extra luxury edition

Reply to
sharx35

========

That's a good question. I would just guess Limited Edition, Sporty Edition, etc. But that's just a guess on my part, and they may not even stand for anything. I really don't know.

My '95 Tercel was a DX, so the designations change from model to model. LX, DX...

The speakers in my Tercel DX were better in sound quality than the speakers in the 2006 Camry LE.

Reply to
Built_Well

========

Sharx is probably right.

Reply to
Built_Well

CE - cheap edition (prob. classic, but it is the least expensive) SE - sport edition LE - luxury edition EXL - extra luxury edition

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Arghh. XLE - extra luxury edition

Reply to
Cathy F.

Reply to
Hachiroku

There is a XLE 4 cylinder, some *people* dont consider 4 cylinders as luxury =) Lexus makes more sense. IS250 IS350 IS250 AWD.., however, IS, ES, GS, LS that I cant figure out.

Reply to
EdV

They used to also have the LE Limited edition -- Limited Edition Limited?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

If you asked Toyota directly, they would probably say nothing in particular. I think the official explanation would be that they are just indicators of the trim level and standard features. If you got the Toyota marketing guy drunk, he'd probably say they were selected based on a Customer Survey and that they are supposed to suggest different trim levels. If you got him really drunk, he'd probably have some funny reasons they picked each one.

I have the following guesses:

CE = custom edition, , classic edition, cheap edition (or maybe cost-effective edition) SE = special edition, sport edition, super edition LE = luxury edition XLE = extra luxury edition

I think Honda does DX, LX, EX

DX = Drab Edition? LX = Luxury Edition? EX = Expensive Edition?

Ford now does S, SE, SES, SEL for cars (and S, XL, XLT, FX4, etc for trucks)

S = Stripper? Maybe special? I know in the old days, a Ranger S was so stripped it didn't even have a headliner. SE = Stripper Enhanced? SES = Stripper Enhanced Sport? SEL = Stripper Enhanced Luxury? Limited = Extra expensive?

I am not sure where all this cool "letter after a name" got started. I know the Germans, particularly Mercedes have done it for years. However, their letters and numbers usually mean something. In the 50's Chrysler had the 300 series of cars, but that also seemed to have some rational meaning. Ford started with the XL, LX, LTD, XLT, etc. in the

60's. For a while Ford was doing the L, and LE thing. The Japanese seemed to pick up this habits in the late 70's, early 80's. I suspect at least originally the Toyota letters were picked by a bunch of people sitting around a table and that they meant different things to different people. I've been in meetings where people pick the names of products and it isn't always a rational thing.

In recent years the letters seem to have taken on firm meanings for various manufacturers. I find them useful. I know if I am looking at Hondas, I am going to want an LX model. For a Ford, it would be an SE or an SEL. For a Toyota, an SE or an LE.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

My friend helped me remove the "Camry" and "LE" emblems many months ago, I dont like it when some dirt is accumulated on the edges.. But, maybe one day I'll stick a hybrid synergy drive emblem and get better mpg =)

Reply to
EdV

This reminds me of the time in the 50s that Ford (in all its wisdom) hired the poetess Marianne Moore to come up with some names for the soon-to-be-produced Edsel car. Among the gems she thought of was "Intelligent Bullet". Ford said thanks and fired her.

Reply to
mack

And they picked Edsel instead......

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

I dunno...I like GT-S myself...

Reply to
Hachiroku

When Lexus introduced the ES and LS, they stood for Executive Sedan and Luxury Sedan, respectively. The IS and GS came out later, I don't know what they stand for.

Reply to
Ray O