Changing Transmission fluid

Hi,

I plan to change Transmission fluid by myself(1st time). From Haynes book, it seems to me that there are 2 pieces to be removed/cleaned, a pan and a filter w/gasket. Here are my questions:

1) is filter the one listed on some autopart websites as "AT Filter Kit W/ Gasket"? and does the filter have to be changed during the change of TransFluid? 2) Could I remove the pan first without draining of T-fluid(without opening plug)? I like to see what kind of filter installed on my 2000 Corolla VE, 18 bolts or 15 bolts? 3) The book mentions using "clean solvent" to wash pan and magnets, what is kind of "clean solvent" the book is talking about? water or some chemiscal solvent? 4) How to recycle the T-fluid? We have pepboy here, do they accept waste T-fluid?

Thanks.

Reply to
wenmang

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Excellent idea. As you remove the bolts, it's best to make sure your face is directly under the pan as it lets go. Makes a great skin moisturizer. ;)

(Legal disclaimer: Don't try this at home, kids!)

Reply to
TeGGer®

Just drain and refill - unless the gasket now leak trying to clean the screen is a waste of time - plus it may leak when you put it back.

Reply to
Wolfgang

yourself. Drain/refill may be OK for most of time unless the t-fluid turn black, then I can have the dealership to do the flush. wm

Reply to
wenmang