check engine

Hi,

I have the check engine light on in my 2000 Toyota Camry. I checked with a local mechanic for the codes. They turned out to be

P0125 - Collant temp low (suggested changing the thermostat - cost $70) P1143 - B1S1 not shifting (suggested changed 02 sensor cost $185).

My knowledge on autobilies is limited. I would like to know what the above codes mean. Change of the parts the only option? I am price concious so if there is something that can be tried before change of parts would be very help.

Any advice would be helpful

-Sundar

Reply to
Sundar

The Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) tell what circuits to check.

P0125 - Insufficient coolant temperature for closed loop operation indicates an open or short circuit in Bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor for vehicles without California emissions or an open or short circuit in the air-fuel sensor for vehicles with California emissions. In either case, use a volt meter to check for fluctuating voltage from the O2 or air fuel sensor in the exhaust manifold. If the car has a V6, check the rear bank.

Are you sure the second DTC is P1143 and not P1133? P1133 indicates an air flow circuit response problem. The B1S1 you listed above refers to bank 1, sensor 1.

Both DTC's point to a problem with the O2 sensor or air flow sensor. Checking with a volt meter will tell you whether the sensor is good or bad, and if it is bad, then replacement is needed.

Reply to
Ray O