Check Engine Light on 96 corolla. Please help!

Hello everyone. Hope all is well. All was well with me until about 6:30am yesterday morning. I was riding down the street in my corolla and the car started acting like it was losing pep and was going to stall. Meanwhile the check engine light started to flash on and off. Finally the light stayed on and the car started driving right. But this morning it did the same thing. Can someone please advise? I'm not ready for new car payment just yet. ;-) Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
cdub131

OK, my first guess is that one of your oxygen sensors has gone. How many miles have you got on her? Mine (93) has over 202,000 and we went through this with her several years ago.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

I've got 229K on her. Had 7 when i bought her. And I haven't had many problems at all. I'll check the oxygen sensor. thanks!!

Reply to
cdub131

Take the car to someplace that will check the car's computer for trouble codes. Many auto parts stores and some service facilities will do this for free or lend you the code reader.

Reply to
Ray O

I ahve the same ting with my 2001 Corolla. It has 63000 miles on it. The OBDII Code is P0171 which means that the fuel is too lean. It happens when I accelerate like on th eon ramp of the freeway. I don't know how to fix it, because it is intermittent.

Reply to
BadCar

First thing to do is clean the MAF sensor. Here is how to do it. The article is about a MR2, but it's the same.

Al

Reply to
Big Al